How to connect wrt610n to the actiontec
Bruisnit
I have been trying to bypass the actiontech and use the 610 as my router and wireless device. I have been unable to complete the task. My actiontec is with cat5. I do not have the tv package. Any help would be appreciated.
0 Likes
Re: How to connect wrt610n to the actiontec
prisaz
Legend

@Bruisnit wrote:
I have been trying to bypass the actiontech and use the 610 as my router and wireless device. I have been unable to complete the task. My actiontec is with cat5. I do not have the tv package. Any help would be appreciated.

I have found it better to use my router and plug the Actiontec WAN into a LAN port on my router. If you use your own router, you will need to set it up with PPPOE to connect. I used verizonfios for user name and password. I have heard that not all areas use PPPOE, and some use DHCP, but I think all use PPPOE. If you do not have TV then the coax on the Actiontec is not required. But if you want TV later, you will need it.

Here is a good link that I posted before. This web site mentions DHCP and the IP lease. Like I said mine uses PPPOE. If I attempt to get an IP with DHCP, it will just not work. Try logging into your router and setting it up with PPPOE and verizonfios for username and password.

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router#FiOS_TV.2C_CAT_installed

Message Edited by prisaz on 02-18-2009 06:32 PM
0 Likes
Bruisnit
I dont have pppoe, i tried releasing my dhcp through my router, did not work. I had to call tech guy on verizon to fix. He stated all I should have to do is hook my new router up, he wouldnt have to release my dchp. Im new to all this. Your link says otherwise.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Sorry I have PPPOE so I can't say from trying. I am running IP Cop linux based router now and have never had any issues switching. I hope your router works out.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Bruisnit wrote:
I dont have pppoe, i tried releasing my dhcp through my router, did not work. I had to call tech guy on verizon to fix. He stated all I should have to do is hook my new router up, he wouldnt have to release my dchp. Im new to all this. Your link says otherwise.
That's not true, the Dhcp lease to your old router needs to be broken and reset.  I believe there is a spot in the Actiontec to do this.  If you find it, and you tell it to release it...you have to unplug the Actiontec right away and get yours in place so your router aquires the proper info.  If you can't find it, just call the Fsc and ask them to release your Dhcp
Message Edited by Provider7 on 02-20-2009 12:27 PM
0 Likes