Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu

How to get an N wireless USB adapter to transfer data faster that 54 Mbps

chul14
Contributor
Contributor

How to get an N wireless USB adapter to transfer data faster that 54 Mbps

Message 1 of 6
(6,549 Views)

How to get an N wireless USB adapter to transfer data faster that 54 Mbps? I am running FIOS 10/2 and connected to a ActionTec  M1424WR router. Any help will be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: How to get an N wireless USB adapter to transfer data faster that 54 Mbps

Message 2 of 6
(6,508 Views)

Unless I am mistaken, using your own Wireless N router

However, there are things to be aware of

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 3 of 6
(6,474 Views)

@chul14 wrote:

How to get an N wireless USB adapter to transfer data faster that 54 Mbps? I am running FIOS 10/2 and connected to a ActionTec  M1424WR router. Any help will be appreciated.

You can't with that router.  The atciontec is a 54g router.

If you want to utilize the 300 mb capability of your wireless n adapter you will need to get a wirless n router and attach it to the actiontec.

jumpin68ny
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 6
(6,452 Views)

I have to ask the question, why are you in need of 802.11N speeds?  Are you transferring lots of files between other PC's on your network or are you simply connecting to the Internet.  

Remember if your Internet speed is 10/2 which means 10 meg down and 2 meg up having 300 meg capability WLAN connection will not be noticeable.   Your bottleneck is your Internet connection of 10/2.   

graygmc
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 6
(6,379 Views)

I was under the assumption that verizon doesn't offer the 10/2 plan anymore and moved the base fios plan to 15/5.  I would first start off with calling Verizon to upgrade your plan.  I believe it should be the same cost as your current 10/2 plan. 

prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 6 of 6
(6,363 Views)

@graygmc wrote:

I was under the assumption that verizon doesn't offer the 10/2 plan anymore and moved the base fios plan to 15/5.  I would first start off with calling Verizon to upgrade your plan.  I believe it should be the same cost as your current 10/2 plan. 

Be careful if you change bundles, it may also change your TV services to something else. If they would do it without a bundle change or recomitment. I would say go for it. But look at what else might change for the added speed. They might just bump you up to 15/5 but I think they would want you to get a new bundle. Like when I went from 15/2 to 20/5 and dropped Premier for Extreme. If you have the Extreme bundle now, the new Extreme is not so Extreme.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title