How to set bridge mode on MI424WRI Routner
abh555
Enthusiast - Level 2

On line instructions for ActionTec and Westell routers have screen shots similar to the MI424WRI, but not exact, and I don't see where to set bridge mode.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to set bridge mode on MI424WRI Routner
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well the proper thing to do would be to run ethernet to the desired router.

Most FiOS installs are coax, and so running ethernet to some parts of the house might be difficult.  When you do this bridging it turns the actiontec into a bridge, and you can do coax to ethernet conversion with it.

It's more popularly used with a regularly functioning verizon router, and a 2nd verizon router (bridged) in a spare room (like this user wants to do) so that you can extend hardwired functionality to a distant bedroom.

Most cases you can simply daisy chain routers, or go ethernet and get rid of the actiontec altogether, but that's where the question comes in "do you have FiOS Tv"    If you do, then you won't want to bridge the router, daisy chain is a better option.

Most people ask to bridge in MY OPINION and apparently actiontec's because with Cable Modems/routers (Brouters) or DSL Modem/Routers, you would need to bridge just to keep the modem functionality.   With FiOS there is no Modem, so usually it's a misunderstanding of the architecture.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi there. 

If you have FiOS DATA only, meaning NO TV service, then you can use the instructions to bridge the router.  

If you have TV, then you won't want to do this, as it will breat your TV functionality, in that the VOD will stop working, the Menu and Guide will stop working, as well as widgets and any TV Online Functionality or remote DVR programming.

PDF]

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge - Actiontec                                                                                                    

0 Likes
abh555
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK thanks, but what if I  do have Fios TV??   Am I just out of luck?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you have TV, then there's a lot of ways for you to do it, but these tend to be the best instructions.

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

0 Likes
abh555
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks very much, I'll give it a shot!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@abh555 wrote:

On line instructions for ActionTec and Westell routers have screen shots similar to the MI424WRI, but not exact, and I don't see where to set bridge mode.

Why do you want to put it in bridged mode?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Hi there. 

If you have FiOS DATA only, meaning NO TV service, then you can use the instructions to bridge the router.  

If you have TV, then you won't want to do this, as it will breat your TV functionality, in that the VOD will stop working, the Menu and Guide will stop working, as well as widgets and any TV Online Functionality or remote DVR programming.

PDF]

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge - Actiontec                                                                                                    

I read the document that is linked and after looking at the diagram I'm not sure I understand why anybody would want to do this.  

Is there some particular reason or gain for doing it?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well the proper thing to do would be to run ethernet to the desired router.

Most FiOS installs are coax, and so running ethernet to some parts of the house might be difficult.  When you do this bridging it turns the actiontec into a bridge, and you can do coax to ethernet conversion with it.

It's more popularly used with a regularly functioning verizon router, and a 2nd verizon router (bridged) in a spare room (like this user wants to do) so that you can extend hardwired functionality to a distant bedroom.

Most cases you can simply daisy chain routers, or go ethernet and get rid of the actiontec altogether, but that's where the question comes in "do you have FiOS Tv"    If you do, then you won't want to bridge the router, daisy chain is a better option.

Most people ask to bridge in MY OPINION and apparently actiontec's because with Cable Modems/routers (Brouters) or DSL Modem/Routers, you would need to bridge just to keep the modem functionality.   With FiOS there is no Modem, so usually it's a misunderstanding of the architecture.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

I have fios tv. I had fios tech support change my provisioning to ethernet and then released the ip address and powered off the VZ router.  Set my router to subnet 192.168.2 and connected it to the ont.  Then connected a lan port from my router to the wan port on the VZ router after changing it's connection to be ethernet..  Set port forwarding rules on my router to port forward all the Verizon stuff that was on the VZ router to 192.168.1.1.

All works fine at least the stuff I use does.  Guide comes up ok, caller id comes up fine basically looked just as it did except that I no longer used the vz router for anything but the tv side.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

That's also what I did, and it was infinetely easier than bridging.   

0 Likes