How to setup apple time capsule with FIOSinternet and VZ router?)
Moebius8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I have Apple time capsule and the VZ Router MI424WR. I current set up:

1. VZ router - wireless off, the rest is standard

2. Time capsule: Wireless on in Bridge mode

Result: Internet works but the wireless network is very in-stable. Airtunes is nearly not usable.

I searched in the Internet and there was several comments that is is not a good combination. Therefore it is recommended to convert the VZ router in a modem mode and use only the Time capsule as the router. I tried this several times I do not get it to work. I followed this procedure (http://data.agaric.com/node/2160) but then I need the PPPoE Account number and password. But there do I get this? The Verizon support was not really helpful.

Please, is there a good and complete description to solve that issue?

Thanks in advance

Moebius

Re: How to setup apple time capsule with FIOSinternet and VZ router?)
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go back to your first setup ...

Verizon router with wireless turned off

Apple Time Casule with wireless turned on

Method 1:

With the Time Capsule in "Bridge Mode", if I remember correctly, you should connect the WAN port to one of the open ports on the Verizon router (I believe bridge mode also turns off the DHCP server on the Time Capsule, if not, find that and turn if off as well).   Change the addressing mode for the Time Capsule to "static" and assign it an address on the LAN which is not in use (choose something you know is out of the way but on the LAN -- I suggest 192.168.1.180 to start -- you can change it once you get everything working).

If it doesn't work this way for you, move the cable from the WAN port on the Time Capsule to Port 1 and try again.

Method 2:

This results in a router behind a router setup, but unless you have devices connected directly to the Verizon router, it shouldn't be a problem.  

With the Time Capsule disconnected from the Verizon router, turn on "Connection Sharing" (not bridge mode) and make sure DHCP is enabled on the Time Capsule.  You need to change the address range being used by the Time Capsule (which I think defaults to 192.168.1.x to another network -- I suggest, 192.168.2.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and give the router an address of 192.168.2.1 on the LAN side.  Now, connection the WAN port to one of the Verizon router LAN ports.  If you had anything connected to the Verizon LAN ports, move those over to the LAN ports on the Time Capsule and reboot them.

Method 3:

This is the least desirable of the scenarios because it relies on Verizon's crappy radio in their router (the Time Capsule has a much better radio and support 802.11n as well as b and g) whereas Verizon's only support b/g.    Go back to the configuration for Method 1, but also turn OFF wireless on the Time Capsule and turn on wireless on the Verizon router.   Try both bridge scenarios described -- using the WAN port first and if that didn't work, then moving the connection to port 1.

---------

There is no scenario where you can place the Verizon router behind the Time Capsule -- since I believe Verizon is using all MoCA connections for the WAN side of their connection (you'd have to get Verizon to convert you to ethernet WAN and then they would not support you most likely for any STB issues with your FiOS if the Time Capsule was between the ONT and their router ... so don't even bother wasting time there ... more headaches than it would be worth.

If you're still not sure exactly what each configuration screen on the time capsule should say, post some screen snaps (or the configuration settings/choices which you are unsure about and someone will likely know the answer here).

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

New users are unable to upload images, however you can provide links to your pics that are hosted elsewhere. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks Elizabeth ... it occurred to me after I said that -- there doesn't appear to be an "attach a file" button anywhere.  🙂 

Text descriptions of what the screens say or a set of screen snapshots uploaded to one of the many "photo sharing" websites would certainly do with the link posted here ... obviously, blank out an Wi-fi passwords or stuff first since we don't need to see those (nor does the rest of the world).

0 Likes
Moebius8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Iasagna,

Thanks for your reply. Your first methode is what I am using at the moment, because so I can least use the internet. But the stability of the wireless network is horrible. Airtunes is not usable.

Now I will try your second suggestion and if this does not work I will use the old Verizion radio technology. 😞

Thanks for you support!

Moebius

0 Likes
DrMagnetoR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here is what I did and it works fabulously. The basic idea is to disable the wireless router radio, and use the Verizon router only as a wired router, hook up the Time Capsule to Ethernet 1, and then use it. Really simple procedure is below. 

1. Disable Verizon wireless router radio

a. Open up your Internet browser and enter IP address 192.168.1.1 then at the control panel log-in enter your Username (by default it's admin) and then enter your password (by default it's either password or password1).

b. Click on Wireless Settings

c. Click on Basic Security Settings then under Turn Wireless ON tick on the OFF button and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the APPLY button, You'll will lose Internet connectivity for about 30 second but then you'll be all set. You may want to reset the wireless modem (turn it off, wait 20 seconds, and turn back on) before continuing. 

2. Time Capsule hook up. Connect the router's Ethernet cable from ethernet output 1 to the Time Capsule Wan port. 

3. Set up the Time Capsule using the Airport Utility.

A related problem is with MAC MAIL client. If you use the MAC MAIL client (or virtually any other - google mail etc.), Verizon blocks port 25 on the outgoing mail ports. SO, to fix this...go to mail help and type in 

"port 25 times out"

If your ISP is blocking port 25 but not port 587, change the port to 587 and try again. Choose Mail > Preferences, click Accounts, select your .Mac account, and then click Account Information. Choose Edit Server List from the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) pop-up menu, click Advanced, click “Custom port” field, and enter 587 in the box to the left, then click OK. Try sending your message again.

This solved all of my problems and now everything works perfectly. 

DukeMontgomery

Default username is admin. Default password is router serial number.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

The newest routers Rev. I, have the router Username: admin and PW: listed seperately.

0 Likes
jcrollow

DrMagnetoR -  Your method of interconnecting Time Capsule with the Verizon FiOS router works beautifully.  All the Apple Geniuses would tell me was to connect my TC WAN port to the VZ LAN port.  Not enuf.  Who knew I should go into the router settings and TURN OFF  the Wi-Fi on the router? The newest router, incidentally, has the user name (admin) and the password (about 7 digits) clearly on the label -- not so on earlier routers (I've had four now in the past two years).

Your post is three years old, but it is still very timely.  Thanks.

0 Likes
photodok

Method 2 is a bad choice. Results in a double NAT and slows down network services because of it.  The only way the time capsule should be attached is by putting the verizon modem/router into brdige mode and having the time capsule do all of the routing and trafficing. First you need to know what service the router needs to connect to the internet through. (PPPoE, Dynamic, or Static.) I've been trying to find out through the internet how Fios is actually delivered and I keep running into the same scenarios that you are teaching.  Why can't someone be useful and state, yes Fios uses PPPoE or yes Fios is Dynamic.  Of course if you pay for it, you can have a static ip from any high speed internet so that's a mute point.

0 Likes