How to update firmware on Verizon branded Orbi
merrick777

My Orbi RBR50 has firmware V2.1.4.16_1.0.0.11 and Orbi has had at least 3 firmware updates since this one.  Netgear informed me that Verizon has their own firmware updates for their branded version of this device... how/where can I get those updates?

0 Likes
Re: How to update firmware on Verizon branded Orbi
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has to incorporate those updates into their own release.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The firmware update can only be achieved by Orbi themselves. They check with Verizon backend for new updates when booting. If Verizon has no updates for them, they won't be upgraded.

jonjones1
Legend

And this is why you should always purchase from the vendor and not branded from Verizon. Google the slower updates Verizon has been famous for. However I have read they are getting better at them. 

0 Likes
merrick777

I’ve tried implementing the firmware files provided by Orbi, but they don’t work. Orbi specifically told me that the updates have to come from Verizon 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry, you don't have the proprietary compiler to compile and upload the firmware.

merrick777

@Cang_Household wrote:

Sorry, you don't have the proprietary compiler to compile and upload the firmware.

Can u explain that? Do I need something specific?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Given the firmware and the complier are proprietary, they are intellectual properties. Only Verizon can push the updates in the backend.

jonjones1
Legend

Wherein where your problems lie.

if you purchased the retail version and not Verizon branded you would have your updates. But for ease of install you trade firmware updates that may or may not be given by Verizon.

0 Likes