How to utilize an alternate wireless router instead of MI424WR-GEN3I
VACoder

MODEL NAME MI424WR-GEN3I
FIRMWARE: 40.21.10.3
HARDWARE VERSION: I

I would like to turn the wireless feature of on the above FIOS Actiontec in order to use a NetGear WNDR4500, which is a N900 wireless dual band gigabit router. I purchased this in order to improve the range of the wireless signal in my house.

If someone could walk me through the process I'd be grateful.

0 Likes
Re: How to utilize an alternate wireless router instead of MI424WR-GEN3I
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Type 192.168.1.1 from your browswer's address bar. The user name is admin and the password is on the sticker on the back of the router. Click on wireless settings on top. Then click basic security settings on the left. Under number 1 turn the wireless off and scroll to the bottom of the screen and click apply.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You probably want to read this too.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

There is actually no reason to turn the wireless on the the Verizon router as they can co-exist.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Unless you need a 2nd router due to coverage issues, I would indeed turn off the FIOS wifi. 

There is not point in having  the FIOS router broadcasting and potentially intefering with the other routers signal.  There is nothing to be gained by having 2 routers broadcast unless you are going to put at opposite ends of the house in an attempt to address a range or coverage issue.  I have an ASUS that covers a 4200 sq ft house.  If you are going to get a 2nd router, get a good one, and turn off the FIOS wifi.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@viafax999 wrote:

You probably want to read this too.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

There is actually no reason to turn the wireless on the the Verizon router as they can co-exist.

Option or config 1 is the easiest most universally used method, described as LAN to WAN and you likely won't have to configure anything at all.  simply look at the actiontec, find it's LAN ports (labeled 1-4) plug an ethernet in there, and the other end plug into your WAN or Internet Port on your netgear.Turn em on and have fun.the LAN to LAN config is probably the 2nd most used config, and I only use that if I have some real heavy intensive stuff going on in my network.   If it's simple browsing, downloading, streaming a movie here and there, light to medium internet useage, then option 1 is the winner for me.    Power users should do LAN to LAN IMO

0 Likes
meegwell1
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have been debating and researching this issue for days now (and you have offered some good guidance hubrisnx). My goal is to have two cisco ea3500 routers attached to my actiontec. At first i wanted all my clients on the same network so i could access my DVR from my ipad for example. Im over that now and im ok switching networks if i need to do that, i think.

I have wired everything (meaning fished the coax throug the floors) and bought the second cisco and just wanted to run down my setup and i hope this helps the OP since it is very much related.

I will keel the actiontec wireless network as but basically wont be using it.

I currently have one cisco wired lan > wan from the actiontec. Its dhcp is on and it is currently my primary wireless network for the family devices.

I plan on connecting the second cisco on the second floor wired lan to lan to the first cisco. I plan on changing the ip, disabling its dhcp, and making sure the channels are different. My plan is to give this the same ssid/key as the first cisco (but different from the actiontec).

My primary goal is to have better dual band n-only coverage from the cisco network throughout the house.

Any problems?

0 Likes