I am thinking about using my own router??
magman

hello people- I was just told my someone that i can go on ebay and purchase the same exact router for about $20--- It is the Actiontec router(orange and black)- They said it might be able to save me some money on my montlhy bill- I checked my monthly bill and do not see the charge for that anyway??  All it says is services ,equipment and discounts-- and it adds up to $19.97.  How much of that could be the router. And if I do buy this same router off of e-bay-- and it has all the password info and the ESID and the WPA2 key and WPS pin and WAN mac-- numbers - is all I have to do- is call verizon and have them change those numbers to those new numbers on the new router I purchase and thats all?? is it that simple??-- i am just looking for a way to save a few bucks. And if it is the exact same item  and I do not have to rent it- then why not?? Please advise.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I am thinking about using my own router??
jonjones1
Legend

First beware eBay sales on Fios routers. They can not be compatible or have been stolen, or not returned, or will be missing router information like log in and password to set it up.

you need not call Fios to use your own router. However in your post you don’t actually say in that $19.97 mish mosh if the line item states that you are renting the router which would be a line item of $10.

Some customers were given free routers when they opted for Fios. You may have been given a free one which you return to them on quitting the service, or the Actiontec your using is an older one in which you may not have to return.

Normally taxes and fees are on tv and phone, not internet. In NYS there is a bogus below the line fee of $2.49 for NYS Municipal Construction Surcharge so if you have internet only that will end the taxes and phone/tv fees. 

Look at your billing invoice carefully. It must give a break down.

View solution in original post

Re: I am thinking about using my own router??
jonjones1
Legend

First beware eBay sales on Fios routers. They can not be compatible or have been stolen, or not returned, or will be missing router information like log in and password to set it up.

you need not call Fios to use your own router. However in your post you don’t actually say in that $19.97 mish mosh if the line item states that you are renting the router which would be a line item of $10.

Some customers were given free routers when they opted for Fios. You may have been given a free one which you return to them on quitting the service, or the Actiontec your using is an older one in which you may not have to return.

Normally taxes and fees are on tv and phone, not internet. In NYS there is a bogus below the line fee of $2.49 for NYS Municipal Construction Surcharge so if you have internet only that will end the taxes and phone/tv fees. 

Look at your billing invoice carefully. It must give a break down.