I dare you...
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can't figure it out, the Verizon Help Desk can't figure it out, and the technician couldn't figure it out.  Maybe you can.

My system is split off coaxial running to my TV fios cable box using an Actiontec network adapter.  I was getting the 25 up/down that I was supposed.  Then suddenly, one morning I'm getting .011-7.0 mps down and 20 mps up.  I've been through this before and reboot the computer, reboot the router, change the cables... nothing worked.  I called the Fios Helpdesk and did the following:

reset the router

ran the Fios optimizer on my computer

ran the windows XP network repair utility

changed ports on the router

ran a lan cable from my computer to the router (about 24 feet)

Nothing worked.

A technician came to the house next.  He ran various speed tests on my computer

reset the router

substituted in a known good router from his truck

Nothing worked.

Then he asked that I carry my desktop to where the router is, plugged it in using another Lan cord,

Got 25 up 25 down mps.

The exact same thing that happened last time (I was running the Actiontec network router)!  That time I replaced the coax and I got 25 up and 25 down in my room.

So the technician says, "It's the line from the router into your room!"  I say, no it isn't because it's done this off both the coax and the Lan wire.  I asked him to remain until I got my desktop back into my room, plugged in the Lan wire (original), got 25 up and 25 down.

Can you explain it?

0 Likes
Re: I dare you...
Hubrisnxs
Legend

sounds like the lan wire to me.

could be the connector at the end or the jack/port it's plugged into.   

but it's an intermittent problem, and that is indicative of a loose connector, or a bad port, or a dirty connector. 

0 Likes
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

sounds like the lan wire to me.

could be the connector at the end or the jack/port it's plugged into.   

but it's an intermittent problem, and that is indicative of a loose connector, or a bad port, or a dirty connector. 

Remember, it did the same thing when it was run:

Split coax leading to TV fios TV box

Coax running from splitter to Actiontec coax to network converter

Different Lan cable (about 4 feet long) running to computer.

It was this problem that led to me running the new lan cable directly from my computer to router in the other room.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Remember, it did the same thing when it was run:

Split coax leading to TV fios TV box

Coax running from splitter to Actiontec coax to network converter

Different Lan cable (about 4 feet long) running to computer.

It was this problem that led to me running the new lan cable directly from my computer to router in the other room.

What's the network converter, presumably some coax conneccted device that's not the vz router??

If it's actually the VZ router then how is the ethernet cable run to the pc?  What is marked on the cable, cat5, cat5e cat6 etc?  is the cable terminated in wall jacks  Did you terminate the cables yourself? if so did use use T-568A or T-568B and more to the point did you use the same termination on both ends?

0 Likes
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

What's the network converter, presumably some coax conneccted device that's not the vz router??

If it's actually the VZ router then how is the ethernet cable run to the pc?  What is marked on the cable, cat5, cat5e cat6 etc?  is the cable terminated in wall jacks  Did you terminate the cables yourself? if so did use use T-568A or T-568B and more to the point did you use the same termination on both ends?

There are no wall jacks.  The coax is straight, unbroken cable  through a hole in the wall to the cable box .  When I ran the lan cable, it was run through the same hole (again, a single piece) from the Verizon wireless router to the lan connection in the back of my computer.

0 Likes
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

The more I think about it, the more I think that the act of unplugging the computer (in order to move it) changed whatever condition was causing the problem.  How, or what, I don't know.  This is a dual boot linux/XP machine, and both operating systems use the network connection.

0 Likes