Re: I want to use my own router and keep tv guide
PaBlum
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow morning and report back.

0 Likes
PaBlum
Enthusiast - Level 2

YES! Perfect! Thank you muchly!

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

One thing to be concerned about.

What you are looking at is a double NAT situation.

You may not be able to remotely control your DVR or view DVRd material.

pl626
Contributor - Level 1

I've been using non-V* routers in front for years.  I currently have an ASUS RT-AC68U in front of the V*, which is only a MOCA bridge.  I turned the DHCP off along with the wireless. 

The only function I don't have is the remote-access dvr.  Not a big deal for me.  Bandwidth is more important to me.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you say you get better bandwidth with your router in front?

Never had a speed or bandwidth issue with my Verizon routers.

trajik78
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is perfect. Releasing the DHCP was what I was missing. Once I did that and plugged my OnHub into the ONT it lit right up and works great. No more Verizon router! I did have to speak with tech support beforehand to have them enable my Ethernet port.

AMG989

I have not done it yet, but I believe you need to call Verizon and have them switch your ONT from coax to Ethernet. They can do it while you are on the phone. I am not unhappy with the G1100 but I have at least 20 plus wireless devices, a Wink hub, plus the STBs. I believe that you can use the Verizon router as your MoCA adapter by plugging the WAN into your router's LAN port. I have heard the apps, etc all still work. Another option is purchasing an Actiontec MoCA adapter to replace the Verizon router. The adapter allows your guide, on demand and DVR to use Ethernet to Coax.  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

0 Likes
Howie411
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you say switch your ONT from COAX to Ethernet.  How do you know if this is done?  Currently my setup has both a COAX and Ethernet feed going into my G1100 router.   I'm guessing based on that my Ethernet is active?

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Howie,

Yes most likely if you already have an ethernet port run to the WAN port of your G1100, your ONT is likely already provisioned.

Test this by unplugging the coax from the router and checking if you still have internet connectivity. 

Howie411
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, ok so Ethernet is enabled and I mostly have this setup.    My only issue is I cant get On Demand working, its telling me I have no connection.   The TV Guide is working correctly though.   Now if I move the ethernet from the lan on my router to the G1000, the On Demand works but then my regular internet doesnt work as it keeps connecting me to the FIOS router as the main router.     The odd thing is when I click connected devices it shows the FIOS router as 192.168.5.157, but I cant actually get to it since I'm on a 192.168.1.X  addresss.    Any ideas?

0 Likes