Re: I want to use my own router and keep tv guide
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear the setups semi-working so far! 

Regarding on demand, please ensure that your setup is like the image below. The Ethernet cable has to be connected to the white WAN port of the Verizon router, and connected to the LAN of your own router as this diagram shows:

Make sure nothing at all is plugged into the yellow LAN ports on your Verizon G1100 router. 

If your network is already setup this way, I apologize for misunderstanding you, please let me know.

Howie411
Enthusiast - Level 2

No problem, the network cable is definitely correct.  (Lan port on Netgear) to WAN port on Fios.

Whats even more odd before when I said it was getting a 192.168.5.X address before, if I look at connections now it shows a 192.168.1.3  address yet,  I can't even access it from my browser.

0 Likes
Howie411
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so I got the On Demand working.  I had to reboot the Fios Router as well as all of the FIOS STB boxes.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Great to hear!! 

Sorry for my delayed response, was away for the weekend. 

pls60
Enthusiast - Level 2

Question for JustinG...

I, too, would like to have my own router.  I bought and set up a Dlink DIR-895 and it connected right up (though I had to return it because the 2.4ghz didn't work at all).  My method (as opposed to your method) was keeping everything the same on the Fios router (192.168.1.1) and hooking to the dlink WAN port.  The dlink ip is 192.169.0.1 .  I was surprised this worked without a problem (though I only used it for a few hours before I discovered the 2.4ghz problem).  Is this a viable connection method and did it work simply because the Dlink was on a different subnet (192.168.0.1)?  Thanks.  I really value the education.

0 Likes
Tobenits18
Enthusiast - Level 2

I read the thread and I would just like to make sure if I understood it correctly. I recently had Fios installed. Only opted for the internet. I have a Netgear Nighthawk too I wanted to use as the range on the G1100 is horrible compared to it. So if my G1100 is already connected to the ONT via an ethernet cable, I could directly connect said cable to my Netgear router's Internet port and use it without the G1100? I was looking around for info on this and everyone was saying I had to put the G1100 on bridge mode. Some even said the Nighthawk can't be used directly as it isn't a modem. So which is which?

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey Tobenits18!

Your correct. You can completely replace the G1100. The comments saying that it needs to be in bridge mode only applies to users with FiOS TV. 

However, you do need to release the DHCP lease from the G1100 router before plugging in your own router or else your own router will not get an IP. Follow these instructions. This only has to be done once.

To release DHCP lease via the router GUI, follow the below steps on the Actiontec or FiOS Quantum Gateway.

First, connect your computer to either the ethernet port on the G1100 or its wifi network. Then go to http://192.168.1.1/ in any web browser. Login to the page (login info is on the side of the router on a sticker.) Now follow these steps:

1Click on the My Network icon at the top.
2Click Network Connections from the menu on the left.
3Click Broadband Connection
4Click Settings
5Scroll down and click Release under DHCP Lease
6Click Apply
7Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

Once the G1100 router is disconnected, simply plug in your nighthawk, and you should have internet! If you have any issues, post back here.

Best of luck, and enjoy using your own router on FiOS! 🙂

Tobenits18
Enthusiast - Level 2

UGH! Thanks for the quick response. If I knew it would be this case, I wouldnt' have bought a G1100. I bought one to avoid those monthly "rental" fee. I could have let them install it using their device and then give it back to them once I installed the Nighthawk.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe giving Verizon a call and explaining the situation they'd be willing to let you return the device. Or if worse comes to worse, you could sell on ebay. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JustinG wrote:

Hey Tobenits18!

Your correct. You can completely replace the G1100. The comments saying that it needs to be in bridge mode only applies to users with FiOS TV. 

However, you do need to release the DHCP lease from the G1100 router before plugging in your own router or else your own router will not get an IP. Follow these instructions. This only has to be done once.

To release DHCP lease via the router GUI, follow the below steps on the Actiontec or FiOS Quantum Gateway.

First, connect your computer to either the ethernet port on the G1100 or its wifi network. Then go to http://192.168.1.1/ in any web browser. Login to the page (login info is on the side of the router on a sticker.) Now follow these steps:

1Click on the My Network icon at the top.
2Click Network Connections from the menu on the left.
3Click Broadband Connection
4Click Settings
5Scroll down and click Release under DHCP Lease
6Click Apply
7Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

Once the G1100 router is disconnected, simply plug in your nighthawk, and you should have internet! If you have any issues, post back here.

Best of luck, and enjoy using your own router on FiOS! 🙂

I cannot stress this enough....http://kb.netgear.com/23977/Will-my-NETGEAR-router-work-with-Verizon-FiOS?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

netgear states their routers will not function in stand alone mode. My Nighthawk when connected directly would not get the full speeds. On calling Netgear they stated I had to use it only in AP mode. Which it did function after doing so.

the newest Nighthawk router I was told will function as a total stand alone. Of course I am not going to purchase a $600 after buying a $400 one. Just to find out.

i have read other routers have been proven to function with Fios without bridge or access point mode. But if only on internet only.