IE8 allows only secure sites
NetteN

One of the kids changed a setting for IE8 and now only secure sites will load--https://  I believe it may be on the verizon side because she told me that there was a prompt for parental controls and she selected OK. The XP operating system does not support parental controls so it must be something with the verizon account. Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Re: IE8 allows only secure sites
satoru
Enthusiast - Level 2

What sort of error message do you receive if you attempt to load a non-https page? A screenshot would be helpful as well. You can try going to Tools->Internet Options->Settings and click the "Reset all zones to default levels". Another thing to try is Tools->Manage Addons->Enable or Disable addons. Then go through and start disabling addons one a time to see which one fixes the issue.

Parental controls don't really have much to do with non-secure sites, so it is possible you may have accidentally gotten a virus or spyware. It might be prudent to scan your computer with typical things like "Search and Destroy" or "AdAware".

May I suggest you convert to Firefox in the interm so you can use your computer.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if it's the Verizon network stuff, it would be in the verizon internet security.    so if you have that, you can check there. that is a pay service, so you would know if you subscribed to it, and also if you downloaded it onto your pc.      

If you don't have that software on your pc (you can also check in add and remove programs, or from the start menu, and all programs)  then the parental control is coming from somewhere else.  I think IE8 does parental controls too, but not 100% on that one.

But I do know that the only place verizon would do parental controls would be from that verizon internet security software.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

actually there are some limited parental controls in the router. but they wouldnt be able to limit to just secure sites. In fact I dont think the security suite can do that either.

What I would do is open IE. click on tools then internet options. Go to the advanced tab and click "restore defaults". this should undo any setting that may have been set in IE. you can always shut off the verizon security if you have it to test.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I forgot about the router's firewall, because it's very transperant.  it doesn't give notifier's where one can click on allow or don't allow, ya know.   So I was thinking about things that would show prompt's like that.

0 Likes