Re: If I get Fios can I connect wirelessly with my Mac?
BDMcGrew

Ah, thank you Justin!  A typo on my part! You see in my second paragraph where I said enther ther WEP key (if there is one).

I have only used the Westell routers, but indeed, if your router has WEP (Wireless Encryption) turned on when it comes out of the box, there should be some kind of indication to this and somewhere on a label or book should be the WEP key.

0 Likes
jr1107
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks a lot guys.  I have a twenty-five year old son who used to do all this technical stuff for me.  Since he moved a couple of hours away over a year ago, I'm on my own unless he's visiting!  Let me see if I have this straight.  I should not have any trouble connecting but I need the WEP key which should be on the back of the router.  I enter this when it asks for the password the first time I try to connect to the network.  Hopefully I have this right so far.  Once I do this I need to log onto the router and change the encryption method.  In System Preferences under Network it shows that my security is WPA Personal (I think my son must have done this for me) so I guess I'm good there.  How do I log onto the router?  And BDMMcGrew, I hope I don't have to explain anything to the Verizon tech or I'm sunk!

0 Likes
jjj
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been using the wireless and found that there are two problems:

1. The macbook does not always connection to the wireless and thus I have to manually toggle the wireless on the macbook

to force the connection.  I am using WPA and hidding the SSID on the actiontek  (non broadcast). A friend of mine had a similar

problem connection his windows system to my wireless.

2. Until recently, communication between a mac on the ethernet lan and the macbook on the wireless was flawless. However

shared printing and other apps stopped working. It was as if the wireless and the the ethernet lan were seperate remote networks

with respect to each other

On other wireless routers, like the apple airport extreme or the linksys the wireless and the ethernet lan may be configured to be

the same subnet and thus let all local system talk to each other with no problems.

0 Likes