If I update my Verizon Fios set top box, can I use ethernet cable for both internet and TV?
FogMoon

I have FIOS internet, TV and landline.  I want to update my router and want to purchase my own so I can have a mesh system.  I understand that I need an ethernet cable for the new router.  I've also learned that my set top box is very old.  If I update the set top box can I use ethernet for that or am I still stuck with MoCA?

If I'm stuck with MoCA, I've received conflicting information on how to make this work.   I've been told I can use a splitter from the ONT box and I've been told I can't use a splitter.  I've been told I can use two routers, keep the old one for the TV and use the new one for internet, and run the ethernet cable from the new router through the old router, and I've been told that I can't do this.   Bottom line:  How do I change my router (and I don't want to use whatever Verizon wants to sell me--I want to purchase my own) and still watch TV?  Finally, will I need a Verizon tech to do the work?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: If I update my Verizon Fios set top box, can I use ethernet cable for both internet and TV?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon won't be any help supporting non-Verizon router setups.  Their techs will not touch non-Verizon equipment.  It doesn't surprise me that you've gotten conflicting information from them about non-Verizon routers.  Ask other users (as you're doing here), or visit:
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_General_Networking

The latest FiOS ONE set-top-boxes give you options.  The main box requires a coax connection for linear TV and MoCA LAN.  The mini boxes are pure IP devices that connect to the main box over the LAN.  The mini's can connect to the LAN via MoCA (coax), Ethernet or WiFi.  A Verizon router provides all three options and the box figures which it's connected to when it powers up.

These boxes work best with a Verizon router.  A Verizon router is required for activation.  If you want to use a non-Verizon router and have FiOS ONE boxes, the easiest setup is to put the non-Verizon router behind the Verizon router.  This will give you a setup that works with the set-tops and is fully supported by Verizon.  Other setups are possible with varying degrees of complexity and self-support; consult the above link for more info.

Note that the WAN (or internet) connection is a different matter.  If you currently have a speed of 100Mbps or lower, you may have a MoCA WAN coax connection between the ONT and router.  This is a different connection than the MoCA LAN link used between the router and set-tops, but shares the same coax.  If you're upgrading speed as well, you'll need an Ethernet cable between the ONT and router, as MoCA WAN is not fast enough for speeds above 100Mbps.  The router still needs to connect to coax to create the MoCA LAN for the set-top(s).

View solution in original post

Re: If I update my Verizon Fios set top box, can I use ethernet cable for both internet and TV?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK. Verizon STBs require a Verizon router to activate and update. All Verizon STBs require a coax connection for MoCA and Linear TV Signal.

Do you have devices other than STBs on the MoCA network? If not, you can place the Verizon router behind your own router for the TV and MoCA.

If you have more questions, please ask.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon won't be any help supporting non-Verizon router setups.  Their techs will not touch non-Verizon equipment.  It doesn't surprise me that you've gotten conflicting information from them about non-Verizon routers.  Ask other users (as you're doing here), or visit:
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_General_Networking

The latest FiOS ONE set-top-boxes give you options.  The main box requires a coax connection for linear TV and MoCA LAN.  The mini boxes are pure IP devices that connect to the main box over the LAN.  The mini's can connect to the LAN via MoCA (coax), Ethernet or WiFi.  A Verizon router provides all three options and the box figures which it's connected to when it powers up.

These boxes work best with a Verizon router.  A Verizon router is required for activation.  If you want to use a non-Verizon router and have FiOS ONE boxes, the easiest setup is to put the non-Verizon router behind the Verizon router.  This will give you a setup that works with the set-tops and is fully supported by Verizon.  Other setups are possible with varying degrees of complexity and self-support; consult the above link for more info.

Note that the WAN (or internet) connection is a different matter.  If you currently have a speed of 100Mbps or lower, you may have a MoCA WAN coax connection between the ONT and router.  This is a different connection than the MoCA LAN link used between the router and set-tops, but shares the same coax.  If you're upgrading speed as well, you'll need an Ethernet cable between the ONT and router, as MoCA WAN is not fast enough for speeds above 100Mbps.  The router still needs to connect to coax to create the MoCA LAN for the set-top(s).

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FogMoon wrote:

I want to update my router and want to purchase my own so I can have a mesh system.

I see your whole point of upgrading the router. Just for a meshed WiFi system, no need to invest a brand new router, just buy two enterprise-grade access points.

You can look into Aruba Instant On 11 access points. They cost each less than $100 or $80 on Amazon. They can be messed up to 25 APs (how big the house do you have? It is probably for meshing the entire block of neighborhood, not considering security ramifications.). They support multiple WLANs and 802.11ac, so called WiFi 5. The newest 802.11ax, so called WiFi 6, is kind of pointless, given not so many devices support this standard and you don't have a broadband speed over gigabit.

Really, even for a home network, I suggest you to start separating functions out of your router-switch-MoCA-firewall-access-point combo. Just in case one function dies, or you want to upgrade a function in the future, you don't need to replace the entire device.