Increasing Internet Connection Upstairs
Zaphod703

Hey Im looking into best way to increase internet connection upstairs.  The router is of course downstairs.

I have 75 Mbps/35 Mbps plan.  I have Actiontec mi424-wr rev. d.  I also have Belkin N+ Wireless Router (F5D8235-4) that I don't use.

I wasn't sure what would be the best solution(s)?  I've heard about connecting a another router to your fios router (also about a bridge?)... don't really know much about this or how much they will help. 

Would my older router be better

Get a newer Router or something (a bridge whatever that is)?

Wifi Extender? (buy like a TP-LINK TL-WA850RE from amazon... or a another one... or a router with extender?)

Get Fios Advanced Router for 99 bucks?

Use Another Router for access point?

or other stuff? lol

Really up to doing anyting, mulitple things, buying whatever.

Not sure if this information might help but upstairs and downstairs we have many things connected:  Computer connected directly to Router... Than wirelessly 2 PS3s, 2 internet radios, acer tablet, Nook, 2 smartphones... all those connected good amount of the time. And a 360 & Wii but both only occasionally on.

just stick with what I have?  Looking to spend around 0-200... really just want to do the best to make the strength upstairs better.  My knowledge is basic in all this sorry.  But I know newer router doesn't always mean stronger signal right?

LoL hopefully that helped!  Any help is appreciated greatly! LoL if its suggesting just doing nothing.

0 Likes
Re: Increasing Internet Connection Upstairs
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The answer to your question depends on what connection options you have between upstairs and downstairs.

Possible solutions in order of preference.

1)  Can you run cat5 between downstairs and upstairs?  This is the best solution.  If you do can do this, you will get the fastest and most reliable connection.  Once you have a cat5 run upstairs, you can use your Belkin as a Wireless Access Point (WAP).

2)  Do you have coax available upstairs?  If so, you can use a MOCA bridge to get ethernet connectivity upstawirs.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

3)  Powerline networking.  These work well in homes with newer wiring.  Connect one network adapter downstairs and another one upstairs.  Connect a WAP to the upstairs network adapter.

4)  Wireless network extenders.  The problem with wireless extenders is they cut your speeds in half and they need to be located where they can get a good signal from the Actiontec.

0 Likes