Installing FiOS Underground from Pole to House
djcasemore

I am ordering FiOS Internet and Telephone Service to my home and I would like to have the fiber installed underground and the ONT installed in my basement. To make things easier for the technician I plan on digging the trench and installing the conduit ahead of time and having a pull string inside of the conduit. I have several questions because I'd like to get this right.

I live in upstate New York in Clay Township next to Syracuse. 

1. What size conduit should I install? Is 2" Schedule 40 PVC okay?

2. How deep should the trench be? Is one-foot okay? The pole is on my property and the trench won't pass any paved areas.

3. Is a standard 90-degree elbow okay at the bottom of the pole? Does it need to be a large "sweep" elbow?

4. How far up the pole should I or can I run the conduit?

5. Can I run the conduit straight from the trench and into the basement without coming out of the ground? This would avoid a second elbow and an "LB" type conduit fitting.

6. Can the entire system of ONT, battery back-up, and router be located in my basement or is the technician required to install some of this outside?

7. Does anybody know what make & model of router is being installed in this part of the country in June 2009?

8. FiOS TV is not yet available in my area but when it is I plan on ordering it. Are there any pros or cons to connecting the router to the RJ45 LAN jack on the ONT versus connecting it using Coax?

Thank you in advance to anybody that can answer any of these questions! 

0 Likes
Re: Installing FiOS Underground from Pole to House
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
If they provide the Verizon branded Actiontec router, be aware of this

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

^^
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
And be aware that just because you want the fiber to the house to be underground DOES NOT mean that they will install it that way.  In some areas where there is ice and snow on the ground for months out of every year, it may not make financial sense to place it underground.   your experience may be different.
0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

For easiest instalation, the tech will most likely place the ONT where your current NID is. This makes connecting your current coax cable and phone lines easier to connect to the ONT. The best thing to do in your situation, would be to call your local office, and ask if they can send someone out to your house to go over the instalation plan with you, and order process. They'll go over it with you, help you with your situation, and even go through the order process with you.

You can even call their customer service at 1-888-553-1555

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

prisaz
Legend

@djcasemore wrote:

I am ordering FiOS Internet and Telephone Service to my home and I would like to have the fiber installed underground and the ONT installed in my basement. To make things easier for the technician I plan on digging the trench and installing the conduit ahead of time and having a pull string inside of the conduit. I have several questions because I'd like to get this right.

I live in upstate New York in Clay Township next to Syracuse. 

1. What size conduit should I install? Is 2" Schedule 40 PVC okay?

Mine runs through  3/4". But the connector needed to be cut off and the fiber tech had to do a splice.This is not standard, and not all installers will or can do this.The head on the cable is about an inch, so 2" conduit is plenty big. Overkill?

2. How deep should the trench be? Is one-foot okay? The pole is on my property and the trench won't pass any paved areas.

It depends on local codes. Cable TV coax around here is less then a foot. Fiber carries no power so physical damage to the cable is the only concern.

3. Is a standard 90-degree elbow okay at the bottom of the pole? Does it need to be a large "sweep" elbow?

Large radius elbow. Short 90 would be hard to pull trough and the cable end could get stuck or damaged.

4. How far up the pole should I or can I run the conduit?

Not up the pole at all. Public utilities frown on people putting things on their poles.

5. Can I run the conduit straight from the trench and into the basement without coming out of the ground? This would avoid a second elbow and an "LB" type conduit fitting.

I would not run any pipe directly into your basement unless you want water to follow it.

6. Can the entire system of ONT, battery back-up, and router be located in my basement or is the technician required to install some of this outside?

All my stuff is in the laundry room directly inside from the NID box. But my neighbor could not get them to put his ONT in his basment.

7. Does anybody know what make & model of router is being installed in this part of the country in June 2009?

Actiontec MI424WR or Westell  VZ9100EM

8. FiOS TV is not yet available in my area but when it is I plan on ordering it. Are there any pros or cons to connecting the router to the RJ45 LAN jack on the ONT versus connecting it using Coax?

I would opt for Ethernet, which would allow you to use your own router if you choose. But remember it you get TV you will need to use the Verizon supplied router.

Thank you in advance to anybody that can answer any of these questions! 

Message Edited by prisaz on 06-02-2009 08:17 PM
djcasemore

prisaz,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to all eight of my questions!

I was planning on sealing both ends of the conduit with duct seal to keep water and insects out of my basement. 

0 Likes
Carlgstevens

I can't comment about the conduit size and installation questions although I would suggest common sense improvements:

- ABS not PVC, its much stronger

- large sweep elbows

- 1 foot is too shallow

As for the interior; mount the ONT and battery back-up at the entrance point in your basement but not the router. Run your CAT-6 cable to wherever the rest of your computer devices are--a central location. The modem probably only has 4 ports plus wireless. You may be going total wireless but even at that, you want the router close to your main computer for troubleshooting. If that computer is a laptop with WIFI then imagine yourself troubleshooting the system/network by standing in your basement at the modem/ONT location.

I was told that future modems would also eliminate the TV coax outpuut for a wireless connection to the STB's (TV set-top "converter" boxes). Meanwhile, that's another connection to your home from the modem which could determine its location other than at the ONT point.

Hope those ideas help.

0 Likes
Carlgstevens

Oh, I forgot to note I connected the ONT to the modem via CAT-5, not coax. My house is already ethernet hardwired, too, so that was the easier way to go. CAT-x is friendlier to work with, too.

My comment about the wireless STB's sitting on your TV(s) is that then COAX will be obsolete and your TV locations' will restricted only by the range of your wireless reception.

0 Likes