Instructions for adding a Wireless N router to Fios network w/ a Westell 9100EM router
coolhwhip

I don't know much about networking, and I just purchased a Linksys Wireless N router to network some components in my entertainment center with my home network (i.e. wirelessly connect to my Verizon-provided Westell 9100EM router in my home office, where the coax internet feed is coming in).  Is there a place I can see step-by-step instructions for doing this?

0 Likes
Re: Instructions for adding a Wireless N router to Fios network w/ a Westell 9100EM router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@coolhwhip wrote:

I don't know much about networking, and I just purchased a Linksys Wireless N router to network some components in my entertainment center with my home network (i.e. wirelessly connect to my Verizon-provided Westell 9100EM router in my home office, where the coax internet feed is coming in).  Is there a place I can see step-by-step instructions for doing this?

The short answer is that you can't connect the Linksys router wirelessly to the Westell router.

Need a little more explanation of what you want to do.  Sounds like you have some equipment in your entertainment center that you want to connect via ethernet cables to a router/switch which is then connected to the VZ Westell router.  The only way to connect the Linksys N router that you obtained to the Westell router is a via an ethernet cable from a lan port on the Westell router to a lan or wan port on the Linksys.  If you need to connect the routers wirelessly you need a wireless extender.

0 Likes
Re: Instructions for adding a Wireless N router to Fios network w/ a Westell 9100EM router
coolhwhip

Thanks for the reply.  Like I said, I am pretty new to this.  So I need to buy something like this to put in my media center then?

http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HWREN1-Hi-Gain-Wireless-300N-Extender/dp/B001DMEYCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie...

Do I even need the Wireless N router at all, or will the Westell do the trick?  I'd be looking to stream HD from my main home PC, so I need good wireless speed.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

The following FAQ, might help you.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@coolhwhip wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Like I said, I am pretty new to this.  So I need to buy something like this to put in my media center then?

http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HWREN1-Hi-Gain-Wireless-300N-Extender/dp/B001DMEYCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie...

Do I even need the Wireless N router at all, or will the Westell do the trick?  I'd be looking to stream HD from my main home PC, so I need good wireless speed.

I assume that there is a tv in your media center so what would make much more sense would be to get a coax splitter and split the coax at that tv and then move the vz westell router to the other side of the splitter.  It really makes no matter where the westell router is on the coax setup and doing this should allow you to connect your devices directly to the router.

0 Likes
coolhwhip

@viafax999 wrote:

@coolhwhip wrote:

I assume that there is a tv in your media center so what would make much more sense would be to get a coax splitter and split the coax at that tv and then move the vz westell router to the other side of the splitter.  It really makes no matter where the westell router is on the coax setup and doing this should allow you to connect your devices directly to the router.

So the coax feed from the ONT comes in through the garage into the office and is connected to the Westell in the office (which is hard-wired into my office PC).   If I move the Westell to the entertainment center I'll be in the same boat w/ my office PC then, i.e. needing a wireless connection to the Westell to get internet access.  Am I missing something here?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@coolhwhip wrote:

So the coax feed from the ONT comes in through the garage into the office and is connected to the Westell in the office (which is hard-wired into my office PC).   If I move the Westell to the entertainment center I'll be in the same boat w/ my office PC then, i.e. needing a wireless connection to the Westell to get internet access.  Am I missing something here?

Then your cheapest solution might be to go to ebay and obtain a used Actiontec m124-wr or Westell 9100em router split the coax at the entertainment center and add that router to the new coax connection there.

There is a way to set them up in slave or bridged mode and I'm sure someone else here can chime in and give you the exact details.  I recall it being documented in some post in the last couple of weeks.

See this link

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Mac-users-Can-I-get-a-wireless-range-expander-that-isn-t-...

0 Likes