Intermittent internet outage
JAMAUD32

Beginning 3/4 my internet began going out at approximately PM.  I called customer support where I was given all the scripted mindless "fix alls" of restarting the modem etc etc.  The rep assured me it was fixed.  30 min later internet went down again.  Again I spent 30-40 min on the phone with a rep where They have assured me what They did will fix the problem. 

Next day 3/5  Internet again went out at app 6:PM.  Again I called customer support where I was given the same scripted nonsense to which I followed and was also sent a new router. 

3/6 Internet went out at appx PM again, I did not call Verizon as I was waiting for my new router.

3/7:  New router showed up about noon.  Internet went out at about PM.  Called customer service, They assured me that my internet was fixed.  PM internet out again.  Called customer support where I got a nice lady that walked me through all the same steps I have completed no less than 6 times so far.  Again I was assured my internet would be working fine from here on out.  PM  Internet went out again.  I called customer service again and asked for a tech to Come out.  I was given a time when the tech would Come out to fix the problem.  The tech didn't show up, I gave Verizon a call when They explained to me that there was never an appointment set up.  I was assured the tech would e out the following day.

3/8: PM. Tech shows up, tells me there is nothing wrong, he checked the router and ONT box, left his number and left.  PM internet goes out, I call customer support for the 8th time.  They assure me everything is working fine After I reset my modem for the 11th time in 4 days....I hope you see where this is going.

3/9: PM Internet goes out, again I call customer support.  They tell me They found a problem on their end and I should have no more outages.  PM internet goes out.  2nd call of the day result in me hanging up on the rep that refuses to let me speak to someone with more knowledge than the script They are forced to use to help my situation.

3/10: PM Internet goes out, at this point I decide its probably time to spend the rest of They day doing something other than speaking with Verizon.  Come back home around 8, internet is still out, and I decide to call Verizon.  They cannot determine what the problem is and After 1hr 30 min on the phone I give up listening to a babbling **bleep** on the other end.

3/11: AM Internet out, I spend close to 2 hours on the hold before I give up.  PM I return home internet is out again, and again I call Verizon.  I spend 20 min on hold and hang up to go watch TV.

3/12: PM  internet out.  Begin my now daily routine with Verizon.  I am finally given to an "expert" who assures me a tech will be out in the AM.  Net remains off until the next day.

3/13: AM Verizon tech shows up bright and early to replace the ONT.  He leaves me a card with his number and tells me he gets off at PM.    PM Internet goes off and stays off until about PM, I did not call Verizon out of fear of breaking something within punching distance.

3/14:  I took the day off, never went on the internet.

3/15:  PM Internet goes off, I call customer support and spend the next 30 min on hold then the next 40 min explaining to the script reader I need someone who has the wherewithal to read about the other times I have called and forward me to a person in charge. After close to 2 hours on the phone I am getting tech #3 to Come to my home, to do what I have no idea but he is on his way.

At this point I have spent more than 20 hours on the phone dealing with Verizon.  I have spoken with them no less than 17 times in 10 days.  During these conversation not once has someone offered any more information that "we are resetting the ONT" or "the problem is within the modem."  Obviously this is a problem that has been occurring more often during peak hours.  I have tried to reason with someone and explain to them there is obviously a problem somewhere down the line..After reading about how this fiber system works I could only guess that it would be at a PON Card but I am not a fiber expert. 

Perhaps someone that reads this forum and happens to work at Verizon can look into my problems a little deeper than resetting the ONT and replacing parts.  I was a mechanic for many years and we had special names for people that continued throwing parts at a car until the problem was fixed, and none of them were nice.  I am not saying this is what is happening but it sure seems like everyone so far is passing the buck and no one is willing to use what is between their ears.

With this I will say after the tech shows up tomorrow and my internet is spotty for the next 3 days while it is the weekend, I will no longer be troubleshooting your network for you, instead I will be down at the local office making sure that as many people as I can get to stop what they are doing to help will be doing so. 

I am in Apple Valley, Ca

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent internet outage
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
JDROMBO
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wish that whenever the solution is found, you would publicize it for others in the same situation.  My problem is similar but not as severe. 

Mine started a few days ago with the internet speed becoming irratic, then drop off and come back before I felt the need to call tech support.  Last night it went out starting about 9:00 PM EST and remained out until at least 11 PM.  Worse part, last night I did speak with a phone tech, and several time during his troubleshooting, the phone service dropped out along with the internet....losing the tech.  Luckily I have Vonage and when the internet goes out, automatically rolls calls over to the cell phone.  (tech called back)

Best solution offered/provided: a tech would come to the house ON TUESDAY...(this was Friday nght).

MY suspicion:  Verizon FiOS is having serious bandwidth issues in THEIR system that's crashing their network.  Logically, if the internet were truely out, I would have lost my phone service too...Ididn't until the tech started doing stuff on his end.  This is a very isolated and specific issue, dealing with the internet access only.

I'm no tech, but I imagine there are various "sections" (frequencies) in the fiber...for the HDTV service, VOIP, and internet.  How else could two out of three services work?  If the fiber went out, it would have taken all of the services.

Anyway, this morning, everything works fine again...awaiting the tech (in four days) to come visit to tell me what I can see plainly..."it works".

If this is a system issue, I sure wish the folks at Verizon FiOS would just say so and alleviate worries that something bad is going on with my equipment (when I know it's not MY stuff)!  And if it's THEIR stuff, have techs available quicker than three days to fix THEIR equipment problem.

0 Likes
JAMAUD32

I would love to give you a solution, in fact I will post it here when I get one.  I play a lot of online games and leagues.  When the net goes out every day at PM and most leagues I play on start at 6PM I get quite agitated that my only real hobby gets ruined every day.....having said that.

3/16:  Tech comes out at PM, replaces my battery backup and gives me a wireless N router (they do exist).  He stays long enough to reset the ONT and make a few calls and leaves at 5:45 PM.  6:15PM rolls around internet takes some huge latency spikes then goes off 20 min later.  The internet comes back up at about 7:45PM.  I tried to call the tech, he didn't answer.  I tried to call customer support, the call was placed on hold and after 35 min of being on hold I gave up.

3/17: 6:27PM  Internet begins experiencing MS over 3K but maintains connections to the net.  I spent about 1hr 15min just monitoring the net before it normalizes and works fine until I left at 9PM.

The fact of the matter is this, the internet works great 20 hours a day, then during peak hours it degrades into unusable or completely off.  Verizon will not acknowledge that there could be an issue on their end and that they will look into it to resolve the issue.  Monday morning I will have my first call with the local cable company that also has fiber in my community and is about 40 bucks a month cheaper for the package.  If I can work it out them and switch I will, if I can't I will be going to the Verizon building every single day until someone gets up off their **bleep** to fix something. ....guess its a reflection on society now days.....

0 Likes
Matibob
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in Apple Valley also.  I also have had numerous outages however mine have been FiOS TV related.  I, like yourself, find that I am communicating more frequently with Verizon than my own family members.  What is up with this lack of customer service?  I do not have the time in my schedule to call Verizon for each outage and rarely have 10 mins to spare, much less the 1-2 hrs it takes on the phone with Verizon to experience high volume hold times, numerous transfers (only to re-explain my issue yet again). etc.  Just what are we paying for?  The added bonus is that if you DO NOT REQUEST a credit for "down-time" you do not receive it!  Again, Nice Customer ServiceSmiley Frustrated

0 Likes
mjayjock
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you still with FIOS.  Did they ever fix it?

I am beginning to have the same nightmare after many years of SOLID service.   

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes