Internet Bandwidth
indian17

So I recently tested my internet speed using Verizon Speed test as a bench mark ( http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest ) I wanted to make sure I was acutally getting what I am paying for. What a surprise I am not! I am paying for 50/25 speed I am getting on average 13/10. Not only did I get used equipment "refurbished" when signing up as a new customer I asked a representitive why and they said they dont write the policy and couln't give me a reason. I asked them for the newest routor to ompimize my speed they told me sure just one catch I would have to pay a one time fee of $90 for the new routor. Great Customer Service!! 

I had a tech remote into my computers to see if they could resolve the issue only if I plug a Lan cable into the routor do I come close to the speed 50/25. I can have my wireless N Laptop infront of the routor and the speed drops to 13/10 what a joke. Its not like the service is cheap $60 a month for internet isn't exactly a bargin. 

0 Likes
Re: Internet Bandwidth
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@indian17 wrote:

... I had a tech remote into my computers to see if they could resolve the issue .... only if I plug a Lan cable into the routor do I come close to the speed 50/25. I can have my wireless N Laptop infront of the routor and the speed drops to 13/10 what a joke ...

It's not actually a joke.  It's called "hard-wired vs. wireless."  You are simply not going to get your subscribed up/down speeds on a wireless connection.  It's a technical issue that's inherent in the electronics and there's nothing that can be done about it.  Connected is faster than wireless, period.

Now having said that, search the forums for the well written and detailed threads that provide clues and hints on what you can do to maximize your setup under the constraints that using wireless imposes.  For example, type "Why Your Wi-Fi" into the "Ask The Community" search box and choose the first suggested entry.

Re: Internet Bandwidth
indian17

It really comes down to fasle adversisment. Verizon needs to be specific and tell people that hey even if you are paying for 50/25 speed you will only get that jacked in never on a wireless device. I have an extensive background in Technology and work in the feild fo a living. I rent an apartment and do not want to run Cat cables to every room why should I go to the additonal expese I can do it myself but i'm not buying a box of cable I Rent.  In theory wireless G routor should be able to support 54mps especially when both devices are next to each other. the Solution would be for Verizon to send me a wireless N rotor but i am not upgrading to 75 speed to get the router without having to pay to $90 fee. 

0 Likes
Re: Internet Bandwidth - Comment on Wireless Network Limits
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@indian17 wrote:

... Verizon needs to be specific and tell people that hey even if you are paying for 50/25 speed you will only get that jacked in never on a wireless device. I have an extensive background in Technology and work in the feild fo a living ...

The limitations of wireless networks are actually quite well known.  The following article should clarify the situation if necessary:

http://lifehacker.com/5782479/how-to-ditch-slow-wireless-speeds-and-go-completely-wired-in-your-home...

Verizon provides communications services and delivers specified performance levels to the subscriber's router, and it's widely recognized in technical circles that they do a superb job.  What happens to the signal once it leaves the router is largely the responsibility of the user.  Users who want to improve their home wireless networks have found many helpful ideas here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

0 Likes
Re: Internet Bandwidth - Comment on Wireless Network Limits
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I don't think there is a single internet provider who sells wireless Internet speeds?

does comcast or time warner advertise internet speeds as wireless?

0 Likes