Internet connection issue (incoming phone call)
marpsu237
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is my internet temporarily interrupted each time I receive an incoming phone call?  Is it an IP address issue, and can this be rectified?  Thanks.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet connection issue (incoming phone call)
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you have FiOS the the problem is usually related to the wireless, and a conflict with another wireless styled device in your house, like a cordless phone.

if that sounds familiar then change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

Also take a moment to look at Actiontec's article, re: How to improve wireless networking with the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you have FiOS the the problem is usually related to the wireless, and a conflict with another wireless styled device in your house, like a cordless phone.

if that sounds familiar then change the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

Also take a moment to look at Actiontec's article, re: How to improve wireless networking with the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router

marpsu237
Enthusiast - Level 2

OP here - Thank you for the response.

So my router was set to automatic, and I changed the channel to 11, then 6, and finally 1 (ensuring that 'Keep my channel selection during power cycle' was selected).  Interestingly, my wireless home phone uses a 5.8 Ghz frequency which the actiontec file notes should not cause interference.  I don't believe my router placement is an issue, as I have excellent signal strength and the phone base itself is on the other side of the room (i.e., greater than the recommended 10 feet away), although when answered, the handset is next to my laptop.  

Any other thoughts?  As an aside, could it be my use of a VPN token, as the connection using the VPN is what is taken offline (although I have been knocked off of Skype in the past as well)?  Thanks again.

marpsu237
Enthusiast - Level 2

OP again -

In performing my tests, the phone itself was directly next to the laptop.  If used not nearby the laptop (even within 5 feet as opposed to being directly next to the laptop), I did not receive the same interference and this seemed to rectify the issue. 

Thank you for the troubleshooting, it is greatly appreciated.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

glad I could help.   I amnot sure why a 5ghz phone would cause an issue, I wish I could give an answer on that, maybe one of our more knowledgeable posters can give an answer.  I am glad that the information helped fix your issue though.  🙂   thanks for reporting back. 

0 Likes
solves4u
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just an additional note on this...

Some 5.8 GHz cordless phones while transmitting from base to phone on 5.8 GHz actually transmit from phone to base on 2.4 GHz to conserve battery life inside the phone. Check the specs on your phone. Transmission at 2.4 GHz near the wireless source WILL interfer with the wireless signal.

Regards,