Internet cuts out many times an hour
weeaboo

I had Fios internet installed a few days ago yet I have never had a stable connection. At best I get a few second freeze on Zoom once every 10 minutes. At worst I lose internet for an hour at a time. This happens on my laptop and phone.

I started off with online support and they suggested I bump my speed to 75 mbps, the highest I can get in my building. This did not solve my issue. Looking at past posts, I do not believe I have SON turned on (according to the website, 5G and IoT are signed not switched on.)

Two days after installation, a tech came and replaced some frayed wires and replaced my router, model CR1000A. When that didn't resolve my issue, a second tech came out and replaced all the wires and moved me to a new port in my building's hallway (I assume a new port in the ONT?)

An ethernet cable somehow makes it worse.

There is a light on the router which switches from solid white to solid yellow. Yellow apparently means there is no connection but it'll be yellow for about 1 min, white for 30 seconds, etc.

The tech thinks the issue might be with my building, but I asked a few neighbors who have no such issues.

I've seen similar posts to this in the past but with no resolution. Does anybody know what this could be?

I have the option to switch to Spectrum, do you think I will have the same issue with them? Thank you so much!

0 Likes
Re: Internet cuts out many times an hour
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you subscribe to Verizon Digital Phone and/or cable television, do those services drop as well?

Are you able to temporarily move the router to the ONT and connect the two devices together with a known good Ethernet patch cord?

weeaboo

I only have the Fios wifi, so no phone or television.

I believe the ONT is out in the hallway, shared by multiple apartments. I don't know where it is and I am unsure if it is open. Thank you for the suggestion, though, it's unfortunate that I can't troubleshoot it.

I just plugged my router into the box in my closet and I get the same issues, if that makes a difference.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe each apartment would have it's own ONT. Could pictures of the box in the closet be posted? If the box has a cover that can be opened, please snap a picture of the inside of the box.

The pictures will appear once a Moderator approves them. 🙂

If the hallway device is accessible, could a picture of that be posted?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What connects up to your router? Is there a DSL modem by chance? 75Mbps being the max speeds tells me either you're on a really old DSL based setup, or you're limited by MoCA / BPON. Definitely agree with the previous poster to get photos.