Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

Internet cuts out many times an hour

weeaboo
Contributor
Contributor

Internet cuts out many times an hour

Message 1 of 5
(790 Views)

I had Fios internet installed a few days ago yet I have never had a stable connection. At best I get a few second freeze on Zoom once every 10 minutes. At worst I lose internet for an hour at a time. This happens on my laptop and phone.

I started off with online support and they suggested I bump my speed to 75 mbps, the highest I can get in my building. This did not solve my issue. Looking at past posts, I do not believe I have SON turned on (according to the website, 5G and IoT are signed not switched on.)

Two days after installation, a tech came and replaced some frayed wires and replaced my router, model CR1000A. When that didn't resolve my issue, a second tech came out and replaced all the wires and moved me to a new port in my building's hallway (I assume a new port in the ONT?)

An ethernet cable somehow makes it worse.

There is a light on the router which switches from solid white to solid yellow. Yellow apparently means there is no connection but it'll be yellow for about 1 min, white for 30 seconds, etc.

The tech thinks the issue might be with my building, but I asked a few neighbors who have no such issues.

I've seen similar posts to this in the past but with no resolution. Does anybody know what this could be?

I have the option to switch to Spectrum, do you think I will have the same issue with them? Thank you so much!

4 REPLIES 4
dexman
Gold Contributor II Gold Contributor II
Gold Contributor II

Re: Internet cuts out many times an hour

Message 2 of 5
(736 Views)

If you subscribe to Verizon Digital Phone and/or cable television, do those services drop as well?

Are you able to temporarily move the router to the ONT and connect the two devices together with a known good Ethernet patch cord?

weeaboo
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(687 Views)

I only have the Fios wifi, so no phone or television.

I believe the ONT is out in the hallway, shared by multiple apartments. I don't know where it is and I am unsure if it is open. Thank you for the suggestion, though, it's unfortunate that I can't troubleshoot it.

I just plugged my router into the box in my closet and I get the same issues, if that makes a difference.

dexman
Gold Contributor II Gold Contributor II
Gold Contributor II

Message 4 of 5
(684 Views)

I believe each apartment would have it's own ONT. Could pictures of the box in the closet be posted? If the box has a cover that can be opened, please snap a picture of the inside of the box.

The pictures will appear once a Moderator approves them. 🙂

If the hallway device is accessible, could a picture of that be posted?

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 5
(604 Views)

What connects up to your router? Is there a DSL modem by chance? 75Mbps being the max speeds tells me either you're on a really old DSL based setup, or you're limited by MoCA / BPON. Definitely agree with the previous poster to get photos.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title