Internet Disconnecting Every Week
User3211
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had FiOs for a couple of years now. My service used to work great, but since the beginning of this year, its like almost every week or every two weeks that my internet disconnects. This forces me to reset my entire FiOs system by turning of my router and pressing those two blue buttons on my FiOs box in my garage. I know it isn't the router's fault because the router is new and works. The box has been in the garage since the service was installed. I think the problem may be something on FiOs end that disconnects our house from the service if we leave computers on 24/7 or something like that. Thing is, its my house and I like to leave our computers on because startup is a pain in the butt. What is going on with my FiOs internet?

0 Likes
Re: Internet Disconnecting Every Week
User3211
Enthusiast - Level 3

This happened again today. Had to restart my entire system again.

0 Likes
User3211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can I please get a private support case opened up for this?

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
daytrader3

I also developed this problem recently.  I have gone through all the diagnostics with no success.  However, I have found the following:

1) The problem exists on both wireless and wired connections to the router.   

2) I can successfully ping the router while the problem is happening.

3) Here is where it gets interesting...When I run a speed test (speedtest.net or speakeasy.net) the download speed test will hesitate and then shoot up to 20 or 30Mbps.  The upload speed just hangs most of the time.  Occasionally the upload test will start and then stop.

This all seems to eliminate the router as the issue.  Instead it appears to be the connection between the router and the fiber optic cable.  I am going to call Verizon to come out and test it.  I will then post the result.

0 Likes
KDuv1

Mine does this also, it's a shame, it takes me an hour and half to reset everything/speak to the customer service rep.  It's getting really tiring and I question my decision to stay with Fios every time this happens.  It usually happens when I have a large download.  Last time I lost the download and had to start over.  More time wasted.

0 Likes
User3211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh good, so I'm not the only one having this problem. To add on, when I have an internet connection, I can connect to certain sites like Wikipedia and others but not be able to access Google or Yahoo. Its so weird, and it even blocks out my Xbox 360 from connecting to Xbox Live.

In the past year, I've had the router replaced several times and this still happens. So that is not it, and I'm tired of having a guy here because that's a pain too. I gotta be home and it ruins a whole day. The only thing I can see thats left is to replace the FiOs box they've installed in the garage if that does anything. If it doesn't, then its the wiring outside or something at Verizon's facilities. However, I live right in New York City in Queens where so many people has FioS so why is this a problem?

0 Likes
User3211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can I please get a support case opened up for me?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi User321

Have you tried the suggestions posted by KaLin earlier to solve this?

0 Likes
User3211
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yes, i've looked at the suggestions. I've even tried the in home agent which keeps telling me I need internet to use it. That doesnt help at all when i have no internet every week. Whenever this **bleep** problem occurs, I go into my router config panel and it says "waiting for dhcp lease" then it says "cable disconnected" when i'm offline for a minute. It stays that way until I constantly have to reboot my entire fios system. I have a feeling that fios keeps disconnecting me from their service because i leave my computers connected to their internet 24/7 on things like skype and IRC chat. This is a hardware problem the way I see it (not my router because thats new) like my fios garage box or something wrong on verizon's end!
0 Likes