Internet Explorer 8 -a voice is making an announcement instructing on "how to remove cookies"
srisaxop
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just recently I have a voice that makes a loud announcement when I am on the Internet (Explorer 😎 and I cannot  find where I can turn this off. It tells me to go to Tools- internet Options and Security,  I don't know where it came from and how to get rid of it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet Explorer 8 -a voice is making an announcement instructing on "how to remove cookie
Justin46
Legend

@srisaxop wrote:

I tried your suggestions but they did not work. The  voice message comes on when  I open Internet Explorer (8). The voice says

"to empty your cache, go to Tools and Internet Options and check delete files..."  ..it "speaks' for several seconds and is very loud--so that if I have music playing on my computer it drowns it out.

I cannot figure out where this voice comes from and how I can get rid of it.

Have you tried starting IE 8 without any add-ons? Microsoft provides a start-up for IE 8 without add-ons, on Windows 7 it is in:

Start ==> All Programs ==> Accessories ==> System Tools ==> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If this eliminates the problem then I suggest you go into IE 8 and try disabling various add-ons until you find the one causing the problem:

Tools ==> Manage Add-ons

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Re: Internet Explorer 8 -a voice is making an announcement instructing on "how to remove cookie
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this happening regardless of what page you are on, or if Internet Explorer is closed? I would suggest running MalwareBytes on the machine and also clear your Internet Cache.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ is the place to get MalwareBytes. You only need the Free version. Perform a full scan.

The Internet Cache can be cleared by going to Control Panel, selecting Network and Internet, and then choosing Internet Options. From this point, go to Delete... and make sure the only box checked is "Temporary Internet Files" and then choose Delete.

srisaxop
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried your suggestions but they did not work. The  voice message comes on when  I open Internet Explorer (8). The voice says

"to empty your cache, go to Tools and Internet Options and check delete files..."  ..it "speaks' for several seconds and is very loud--so that if I have music playing on my computer it drowns it out.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@srisaxop wrote:

Have you tried starting IE 8 without any add-ons? Microsoft provides a start-up for IE 8 without add-ons, on Windows 7 it is in:

Start ==> All Programs ==> Accessories ==> System Tools ==> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If this eliminates the problem then I suggest you go into IE 8 and try disabling various add-ons until you find the one causing the problem:

Tools ==> Manage Add-ons

Keller, TX 76248

tns
Master - Level 2

Sounds something like the Accesibility option Narrator.  But why it would be on for Internet explorer only is a question.  Double check your accessibility options(ease of access) in the Windows Control Panel.

moonwoman1
Enthusiast - Level 1
I had the same exact problem - it was driving me batty! I finally figured out that the source was the add-on Shockwave Flash Object, Version 11.1.102.55. Go to Tools, Manage Add-Ons, then look for Shockwave Flash Object - highlight it, then disable it. You will no longer hear the anoying voice everytime you open a web page in IE8. Of course, now I can't view the web content that this feature allowed. Maybe someone can suggest an alternate free download...
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

This suggests the thing generating the loud message is contained within a Flash movie, not that Flash itself is causing it.

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@srisaxop wrote:

Try setting your homepage to a blank page. Click the Tools button, select Internet Options in the menu that appears, and click "Use Blank" to set your homepage to a blank page. Close Internet Explorer and restart it.

If the voice comes back, or the homepage is not a blank, white page, then you may have malware on your machine.

srisaxop
Enthusiast - Level 2

Perhaps when I ran IE without add-ons that disabled the Shockwave? IN any case, I am glad that I was not the only one with the problem. I was driving me batty too.

0 Likes