Internet issue after second access point added using coax
handsmom

I want to add an additional access point to my home network using just the coax in second floor bedroom.  I purchased new Verizon router and ran through the process to add this router as access point only.  Got everything set up correctly using following instructions

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

and had great signal over coax (50/50 on a 50/50 VZ plan) for about an hour.  Then started having issues where internet signal would drop across whole network.  Primary router had no incoming internet.  Would drop for about a minute and then intermittently come back on and drop off again.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Internet issue after second access point added using coax
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It's a little hard to guess what's causing your problem.  It might be something not exactly setup right, possibly causing a conflict between your primary router and the secondary access point.  Or it could be.....?

Might you be able to return the second router to where you bought it?  If so, you might consider doing that and replacing it with an Actiontec WCB3000N network extender.

The network extender is plug-and-play and feedback here on the forum seems to be consistently good. 

I'm attaching the WCB3000N specs as a .pdf file and you can see details about buying it here:

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

If that solution doesn't work for you, I hope another user will come along with a suggestion how to best track down what's causing the problem with your existing setup.

0 Likes
handsmom

Thanks eljefe.  Looks like that might be a viable option.  I bought the router through Verizon, which says I cannot return the product!!

0 Likes
handsmom

Are there any additional details on how to set this up?  Does it matter which of my routers acts as primary?  My older router (VZ with grey band) is primary with my new router (red casing) is new access point.  Does any of this matter to setup?

0 Likes