Internet Only Installation
spicyc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I currently have a bundle service (tv/phone/internet) that I will be disconnected next week.  I will have a installation for internet only for 300/300 mbps.  The current set up is for 75/75 mbps which Verizon says they upgraded to 100 mbps.  My current set up is a coax cable that connects to the router/modem.  As part of the new internet only installation I will be using my own router.  Being that I have an old ONT I am assuming that I will be getting an updated box (which I confirmed with a Verizon rep) which will link to the router via an Ethernet cable.  Just want to make this installation as easy as possible.  How should I handle the new router?  Should I have brand new my router all set up so that all the tech needs to do is plug it to the Ethernet once the ONT is updated or do I have to let the tech install the Verizon router and then change it myself?  And if they do have to set up the Verizon router is it as easy as plugging the Ethernet wire to the new router or do I have to go and release the new Verizon router DHCP lease?  

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet Only Installation
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can set up the router in advance if you'd like. It does make the setup easier for when Verizon comes to replace your ONT (assuming it is an old BPON unit). Connecting up to the Internet is as simple as plugging it in. DHCP right to the ONT will get you online. All you need is for Ethernet to be enabled on the ONT, which will be the case for 300Mbps.

View solution in original post

Re: Internet Only Installation
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can set up the router in advance if you'd like. It does make the setup easier for when Verizon comes to replace your ONT (assuming it is an old BPON unit). Connecting up to the Internet is as simple as plugging it in. DHCP right to the ONT will get you online. All you need is for Ethernet to be enabled on the ONT, which will be the case for 300Mbps.