Internet ports 80 and 443
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

On my service, these ports are blocked, which is annoying, since I used to have a small Windows Home Server and we could access our stuff when traveling. Now since we have FIOS, this has not been possible. It is probably my biggest annoyance overall with the service.

I believe I have the old speed tier of 25/25. Does anyone know if any of the faster services (with the exclusion of the business service) allows access to ports 80 and 443?

I guess it'd be a violation of the TOS/TOU to ask if there are workarounds.:)

0 Likes
Re: Internet ports 80 and 443
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Those ports are only closed because the router has them closed.  That is the job of the firewall to block ports that are not needed.  So if you need those ports, then you just have to open them. no change in service required. 

0 Likes
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon does block port 80 for incoming connections. You are not allowed to host a website/server, but by default ALL routers block port 80 and 443.  You will need to setup port forwarding for those ports to work with your server. go to http://portforward.com for any portforward help with just about any router out there.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

not blocked by Verizon at their main routers, but blocked inside the router.   should be able to open the port following the instructions from either website.  I personally use www.simpleportforwarding.com because I am lazy.  But it works flawlessly 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Port 80 and 443 are wide open for me. Verizon used to block them on the inbound direction. Right now the only known block is on Port 25. There may still be some instances though, where Verizon is still blocking Port 80 and 443, in which case there isn't much you can really do about that short of getting a Business account with a Static IP on FiOS.

If you need to, you can always set up a VPN tunnel or change the ports Windows Home Server operates on. It just adds in a small amount of complexity.

andrewl2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just wanted to say that I had this same problem for a LONG time. Turns out it's the Windows Firewall in Windows 7 that was blocking the port.

Go to Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings > Inbound Rules > New Rule...

Select "Port" > Next

Select "TCP" > Enter the port you wish to allow > Next

Select "Allow the connection" > Next > Next

Name it, click Finish and you're done!

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@hracer wrote:

Verizon does block port 80 for incoming connections.

That is incorrect. VZ does NOT block port 80 inbound.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@hracer wrote:

Verizon does block port 80 for incoming connections.

That is incorrect. VZ does NOT block port 80 inbound.

I have heard/read that depending on what area a customer is in, it is blocked and other areas it is not blocked.

0 Likes