Internet Slow on One computer, others are fine
elcid

I have three computers in my house (a notebook, a laptop, and a desktop PC).  The first two have internet speeds of 25/15 as advertised.  The desktop is getting 8/9.5?  Strange that the upload speed is actually faster than download also.  I've googled every way to optimize my PC to no avail.  How do you target the problem on one computer.  It checks clean for spyware and viruses.  I've ran an optimization of my TCP settings which changed the some registry entries, but did not change the speeds.  I'm stuck!

0 Likes
Re: Internet Slow on One computer, others are fine
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@elcid wrote:

I have three computers in my house (a notebook, a laptop, and a desktop PC).  The first two have internet speeds of 25/15 as advertised.  The desktop is getting 8/9.5?  Strange that the upload speed is actually faster than download also.  I've googled every way to optimize my PC to no avail.  How do you target the problem on one computer.  It checks clean for spyware and viruses.  I've ran an optimization of my TCP settings which changed the some registry entries, but did not change the speeds.  I'm stuck!

Couple questions first. On the computer that is having issues.... What OS are you using and are you connected wirelessly or hardwired?

0 Likes
elcid

I'm using XP on all three.  I have tried wired and wireless.  I disabled the wireless when I tried wired just to make sure that I'm actually on the wired connection when I check wired.  The wired speed is about twice as fast as wireless, but still three times slower than normal in either case.  I also have made sure that all windows updates and drivers are up to date and correct.  I'm thinking it must be some sort of settings problem.  A friend said something about packet size or buffer size being a possible culprit?

0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

@elcid wrote:

I'm using XP on all three.  I have tried wired and wireless.  I disabled the wireless when I tried wired just to make sure that I'm actually on the wired connection when I check wired.  The wired speed is about twice as fast as wireless, but still three times slower than normal in either case.  I also have made sure that all windows updates and drivers are up to date and correct.  I'm thinking it must be some sort of settings problem.  A friend said something about packet size or buffer size being a possible culprit?

Ok, so when dealing with 1 PC as opposed to all, your culprits can be either hardware, software, or configuration related.  First off, with this PC you gave speed results of 8/9.5.  Was that wired or wireless?  If it was wireless, what are your wired speeds?  Use multiple sites to check (speedtest.net, speakeasy.net).  What are the PC specs?  Are you running any firewalls?  Anti-virus protection? 

0 Likes
elcid

These speeds are the wired speeds.  I even disabled the wireless card when I ran it to be sure what I was getting was over the LAN/Ethernet connection.  I turned off the firewall and antivirus and double checked that windows firewall was not enabled as well.  Wireless speeds are about half of the wired speeds.  Checked multiple sites with same results.  Thanks for the reply.  Looking forward to getting it resolved.

0 Likes