Internet Speed Assistance
akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have noticed btw the hours of 11:30 pm and 1:00am, give or take, my connection drops to a standstill or dial up like speeds.  There are also times in the late afternoon I have notice the same slowdown.  I have a new ONT and router, and this has not fixed the issue.  It does not matter whether I am wired or wireless, or using a Mac or a PC.  Restarting or rebooting the router do not resolve it. When I do a diagnostic via my Mac, it tells me I am connected to network. I also have nothing but green lights on the router.

In my last call to tech support, it was suggested that interference was the problem (neighbor signal, etc.)  and I should try to get another antenna for the router to boost the signal, and/or get an amplifier.  (I imagine I could get either at Radio Shack.)  If the problem were just the wireless I could understand, but again, it happens when I am hard wired.  I do not have a 2.4 mhz cordless phone near the router, though the router is placed near our TV.  I don't think this would account for the snail like slowness especially when I am noticing the slowness @ particular times during the day.  It was also suggested that my spitter or the coax cable could be the issue, but again, I doubt it b/c as I type this now, I am not having issues with speed. Has anyone experienced this?

I am so far happy with my TV and phone experience, now that Vezion resolved some initial issues, but the internet problem is frustrating.  I never had such issues with Comcast; though I don't want to go back to them for a number of reasons. It's already bad enough I am tied to the Vz router and wireless b or g speed. An yes, I am aware there are ways to use one's own routers, but I like being able to get the guide, widgets, etc b/c I have FIOS TV.  I do hope that Verizon moves away from their router at some point and like Comcast, allows the STB's to receive the guide, VOD, etc. info so that customers can use their own routers.

Okay, that rant aside, TIA for any help on my slowness issue.

0 Likes
Re: Internet Speed Assistance
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well I would agree that the anteanna suggestion is not correct. the wired connection eliminates this issue. If it was only happening during the late night hours I would probably attribute that to maintance on the system. but this would generally not be an issue during the day as matainance is done during the hours that will affect as few people as possible.

Now coax is still a possible issue even with it working fine now. many "intermittant" problems can be attribuited to a coax that has a cracked copper wire. When the temp reaches certain levels, the coax if cracked can expand or contract just slightly and this can have the affect of a wire that is barely connected making for slow connections.  Its not likely to be this. but it is a possiblitiy.

If the ONT and the router have both been replaced, and you are having the SAME issue, then it is likely to be either...

1. the computer (I know we hate to admit it may be our own equipment, but it is a possiblity...though not likely in your case as it affects both your PC and MAC)

2. Coax

3. a bad splitter in the coax run

4. a network issue on verizon's side

The network issue is going to be the hardest to track down. As you have to catch it exactly when it is happening and have verizons network technicians run their tests while having the problem. You can help this along by running a trace route from your hardwired PC to a couple of different web sites, this may give an indication on where the problem is or give them a place to start looking.

Message Edited by spacedebris on 07-11-2009 08:33 AM
0 Likes
SEAL76
My internet speed is always slow. I can not connect to the verizon site to view my e mail half the time. It takes literally 5 minutes for me to get to read my email. any suggestions?
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Verizons web site is always slow....cant go by it. But if your speed is always slow, the first thing to do is get a baseline to see exactly what we are working with.

Go to www.speedtest.net  or www.speakeasy.net/speedtest  and run a test to a server near you and get a reading of what the speeds are like.

Then if you are running Windows XP try optimizing your settings by going Here

Try rebooting the computer and router

Check for the number of processes running on the computer and the amount of ram. If you have, say...more than 70 processes or less than 512mb of ram these may be slowing the computer down

Then if still slow, post back with your results and we can take a looka at other suggestions

Message Edited by spacedebris on 07-13-2009 02:50 PM
SEAL76
I would like to thank spacedebris for the help i just received.
0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Seal

You can thank other users by clicking on the yellow box with the star on it. These are kudos, or a way of saying thank-your for the good advice/info.

If your problem is resolved, please choose the answer that was most helpful as the "solution". This can help other users by pointing them to the most relevant information for the issue that was being discussed.

ElizabethS

0 Likes
burger414
When trying a speedtest at speakeasy.net, my upload speed is totally different then the results I get from speedtest.net
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
thats why I listed both. depending on where you are and which server you run your test to. speedtest.net has been having issues lately. Use both and if one of them give you good results you should be fine. I just listed both so that you can get some comparisons going.
0 Likes
akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3
Turns out my internet problem was on the network side.  Whatever they did, I hope it lasts b/c I really don't want to switch back to Comcast.
0 Likes