Internet Speed has gone way down
ericpd
Ok,... just got triple-play installed this morning. Did a speed call at Speakeasy.com and got back 15189 down and 4787 up. The installer said that was about right because I did the test over wireless. As the day went on, the speeds have gradually but steadily went down. Just did one before starting this thead,.... 8298 down and 4629 up. It's worse at Verizon's own speedtest.verizon.net,.. 2202 down and 2035 up. {word filter avoidance}  I turned off the other two laptops in the home as well as turning off the XBOX. I am provisioned for 20/5! Has anyone gone through this before me? If so, please advise. Thanks
Message Edited by KaLin on 09-25-2008 09:17 PM
0 Likes
Re: Internet Speed has gone way down
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The speed is not guaranteed over a wireless connection. There are too many variables. If you get the speed you ordered hardwired then everything is fine.
0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

The location of the laptops in your house can have a significant impact on your speedtest results. Are you seeing strong signal strength on your laptops? Also, have your laptops been optimized for FIOS? If they havn't been, here is the link to optimize:     http://www.verizon.net/optimizesettings/

I have 20/5 like you do and get about 20/4.5 on both my hard wired desktop and wireless laptop. My laptop is only one room away from my router.

0 Likes
ericpd
Yeah, I did the optimization, and the speeds were still low,... especially on Verizon's speedtesting page. I'm not even getting 5 on that site, can't seem to get above 3 for down. Have you used the Speakeasy test? On this site I'm getting down #'s hovering around 14, but never anything above 15. As soon as I finish writing this response, I'm gonna carry this laptop over to the router and hardwire it for another test.
0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

The Verizon speedtest is all over the map. Yes, I do use speakeasy. Just make sure you use a site nearest to your location. This is another test that is pretty reliable;

http://www.speedtest.net/

0 Likes
CopyRon

I also use wireless, but 2 of my machines are in the same room as the router.

Almost daily my wireless and wired speeds drop to about 12k down while the upload stays around 4400.

If I push in the reset in the back of the router, my speeds instantly return to about 20k down and maybe 4600 up.

I have complained about this for months, and Verizon has even changed my router to no avail.

It seems if I don't check my speeds (using speedtest.net as Verizon recommends) I am not getting what I pay for.

0 Likes
rfa5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I notice my speeds go down to about 12/4.6  but if I change the wireless channel the router works on, the speed goes back up to 20/4.8.  I usually leave my wireless channel on channel 3 as I find this channel works best in my home.  If I see the speed drop, I will change the channel to channel 4 then immediately change it back to channel 3 and all is well.  I don't know what's going on but this always works for me!

Bob 

0 Likes
ericpd

@rfa5 wrote:

I notice my speeds go down to about 12/4.6  but if I change the wireless channel the router works on, the speed goes back up to 20/4.8.  I usually leave my wireless channel on channel 3 as I find this channel works best in my home.  If I see the speed drop, I will change the channel to channel 4 then immediately change it back to channel 3 and all is well.  I don't know what's going on but this always works for me!

Bob 

Wow,... didn't know you could change channels on the router. Lemme ask you, if you change the router's channel, do you have to make a corresonding change on the computers, wireless or not? What about the TV's in the home,.. do you have to make any adjustments to the STB? I'm thinkng the telephones would be immune to a channel switch on the router as it's relationship is more closely tied to the OMT in your basemet. Well,... at least this is how I understand it. Think I'll try a router reset and see if there's any improvement. Oh BTW,... how do you change the channels on these routers?

0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
I have the Actiontec. To change channels, I go into The Actiontec control panel. Go to Wireless/settings/basic security/channel. Select the channel you want. There is also an "automatic', option. 
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

A few things that can very definitely affect wireless speed:

1) Use of a wireless phone (not a cell phone), especially ones that use the 2.4 GHz frequency. If you can determine that a wireless phone is contributing to your problem, you should try moving it way, out of the line of sight between the router and the wireless PCs, etc.

2) Other wireless networks nearby. Since their usage is typically so erratic, slowdowns and speedups can occur without any discernable pattern.

3) Mirrors, pretty much any metallic (reflective) surfaces between the router and and the wireless PCs.

I am sure there are others. But typically about the only things you can do are move the router, move the PCs, get a stronger/longer range/more directional antenna at either or both ends, or change the channel. In my area I have two other networks I can see, and I found I needed to change the channel number to get more consistent and faster transfer.

Changing the channel on the router is easy, as you have already been told, and the wireless PCs will follow the router to the new channel (at least they did for me). And changing the channel has no effect on the TVs or STBs, they all communicate via the coax using MOCA, not wirelessly.

I have the Actiontec router, one wired PC, and two wireless PCs. After playing around with positioning and changing channels, I have managed to create an enviroment where I do get consistent and acceptably fast connections for my wireless systems.

Good luck.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes