Internet Speed problems 150/150
MrsEdwards1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is anyone getting their full internet speed wired?  I pay for 150/150 and I am getting 94/96.

I am not complaining much but when I hear "We don't guarantee our speed wirelessly", it makes me think that the speed is guaranteed wired.  So I connected a wire to my desktop only to wonder..........why am I paying for speeds that I am not getting?  

I may seem like a whinny baby right now, but let me assure you, whinny babies do not spend over 100.00 a month just for her internet speed.  

Anyone?

Test was done via speedtest.net and http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

and the verizon test was much lower.  

0 Likes
Re: Internet Speed problems 150/150
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

What revision is your router?  If you don't know how to find this out, is the front panel red?

0 Likes
MrsEdwards1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes I have the lastest router. I have had it for a while so it's not new to me.  But yes the router is black with red stripe.

Thank you

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Sounds like you have a 10/100 nic instead of a gigabit ethernet card. 

MrsEdwards1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well I do not have a 10/100 nic card.  When using an 3rd party router I have received 130/75 wireless. I had to place verizons router back in because of my upgraded TV service.  Verizon router just isn't capable of providing everything they are selling.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

*edit*

Did I read that correctly, you said you DO NOT have a 10/100?   you instead have a 10/100/1000 Ethernet Card?

Well Gigabit ethernet cards are what will let you break that 100mb barrier (hardwired) and let you go to 150 and upto 1000 (1gb)

They are fairly inexpensive, and fairly easy to install.  

The wireless going over that mark, and reaching 130 indicates you have the right wifi adapter so I wouldn't worry about that too much (still a good idea to update drivers regularly) but the Hardwire will be limited until it gets replaced.

if I am understanding you right, your 95mb barrier that you had was wireless and not wired (I had thought wired earlier), and so that might just be a function of the actiontec, and a limit of it's technology in your home.   a lot of folks get great speeds on that router wirelessly, I've seen forum thread discussions dedicated to it,  most people that take their wireless seriously, don't rely on anything from the actiontec, and they instead do a third party router like you do.  

a favorite is the RT-N66U  from asus,  great price and hysterically better performance in AP mode

0 Likes
Odynomite

For those poor souls that ordered the upgraded Verizon package offering 150 / 150 internets speeds and are only getting 94 - 95 upload and download speeds, what Verizon doesn't tell you is that in order to obtain the top speeds, you must install an UPGRADED NIC OR NETWORK INTERFACE CARD into your computer.  So that means more money and a trip to your local computer repair place.  I'm gonna do it.  Why pay for the extra speed and not experience it.  It's like driving a Mercedes S550 AMG twin-turbo......with a 4-Cylinder Hundai engine. 

0 Likes
XDM45guy
Enthusiast - Level 3
Actually the newest router is the g110 dual band router . I also have 150/150 and I can download it most times. I download using usenet (giganews ) . I think sometime their servers cannot handle the 150, but it usually only lasts a few hours. when I am downloading at 100% and stream movies the stream stutters, but if giganews is under 100% speed I have no problems. This leads me to believe it's not Verizon's fault.