Re: Internet speeds consistently slower than paid rate
test421
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, all of this stems from Verizon refusing to upgrade its interconnect with L3 and Cogent. They claim its because Cogent and L3 are sending more than they're receiving. This only makes sense until you realize that Cogent and L3 are serving content providers while Verizon and comcast are serving consumers of that content. Of course there's going to be an imbalance.

And yes we're going to start consuming more data, and verizon and comcast are going to have to start providing more data. Costs will go up, but what are their current profit margins? If they have 90% profit margins, and my bill is going to go up, then something is wrong at verizon.

I really miss cablevision.

0 Likes
TheeMZ

I have found the one and only solution to Verizon's false advertising and otherwise dissapointing performance when it comes to dsl high speed internet service.  Switch to Time Warner Cable Internet.  I am currenty paying $37.00/mo for Verizon's enhanced internet plan.  The fastest plan available in my area.  I have run various speed tests at all hours of the day and night and I cannot believe the results.  Just now, I ran 2 speed tests and both resuted in 1.16mbs download speed / 2mbs upload speed.  Disgusting !!!  May plan says 3-7mbs.  For this I pay $37.00.  Veriozn offers no solution to this.  Unacceptable !!!  I found that Time Warner Cable Internet offers 100mbs.  ONe last note to those of you who have Fios;  Experts I have spoken with say that Verizon's Fios is not real fiber optics.  Check for yourself.  Cut the wire in half and instead of a clear fiber optics tube it's you'll find a copper wire.  Cut into a Cable Internet cable and you will find a clear tube, which is necessary for carrying fiber optics signal. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TheeMZ wrote:

I have found the one and only solution to Verizon's false advertising and otherwise dissapointing performance when it comes to dsl high speed internet service.  Switch to Time Warner Cable Internet.  I am currenty paying $37.00/mo for Verizon's enhanced internet plan.  The fastest plan available in my area.  I have run various speed tests at all hours of the day and night and I cannot believe the results.  Just now, I ran 2 speed tests and both resuted in 1.16mbs download speed / 2mbs upload speed.  Disgusting !!!  May plan says 3-7mbs.  For this I pay $37.00.  Veriozn offers no solution to this.  Unacceptable !!!  I found that Time Warner Cable Internet offers 100mbs.  ONe last note to those of you who have Fios;  Experts I have spoken with say that Verizon's Fios is not real fiber optics.  Check for yourself.  Cut the wire in half and instead of a clear fiber optics tube it's you'll find a copper wire.  Cut into a Cable Internet cable and you will find a clear tube, which is necessary for carrying fiber optics signal. 

Sounds like you might have technologies mixed up.

The "enhanced" Internet plan is not FiOS and is instead a DSL product, that relies on copper cable to be delivered. Cable Internet, otherwise known as DOCSIS, is delivered over a Hybrid Fiber Coax network. The cable company uses Fiber from the headend/Central Office to a Cable node near your home. At the node, the signals being carried across the Fiber are converted to DOCSIS and QAM signals, which then ride to your home on a copper coaxial cable.

There are two variants of FiOS that need to be known. The first is the real deal. A Fiber cable made of a glass core and kevlar shielding is brought into your home and is connected up to an Optical Network Terminal. This ONT then acts as both the telecom demarcation point, and as a conversion bridge. Since hooking up all deliver directly to fiber is expensive and not the most practical thing to do, FiOS is then delivered using Coaxial (MoCa + QAM), plain old Ethernet (CAT5e/CAT6 UTP Cabling), or both, so that everyday devices can connect up to FiOS without additional cost.

The second variant of FiOS is the VDSL way, and this is only installed in apartments where Verizon could not get permission to install individual ONTs. A central ONT is located in a telecom closet which then is connected to the coaxial network and telephone wiring in the building. The Fiber connection coming into the ONT is then converted to DSL over Copper for Data. TV service is delivered over coaxial. Telephone, whether it is plain old DSL, the real FiOS service, Cable Company provides, or DSL-Bases FiOS, is always delivered over copper wire. 

TL;DR: FiOS is actually Fiber service. You just won't see the Fiber unless you want to take your service out and want a tech visit after. Everything else including cable is just copper. Also, cutting a Fiber Cable and looking into it is how you burn your Retina. Do not do that.