Internet speeds consistently slower than paid rate
gonebonanza1

Hello, my download speeds are typically 20% of my paid rate (8-10MBPS) from a wired connection, no other devices connected to the network, just the one computer when tested. Sometimes as slow as 5% which makes it as good as AOL circa 1991, I can hear the dial tone now... Upload speeds are typically at or above 50MBPS which is great for the 2% of the time I upload files, not a real cloud user. Wi-Fi signal is the same speed, wired never improves tested speed. Using Macbook Pro mid-2012 model very virus/2nd party/3rd party software free.  Timeline, over 4 months, I don't have the time to spend 45 minutes on the phone to have them do one of two things: tell me to plug a wire in directly or stare aimlessly at a router that is cycling power. Best part from the Customer service call: I have to pay for a new router if it's in question, I swear it's been less than a year. I wish I could pay the percentage of my bill that I was actually getting service for then I'd have no complaint. Come back Pacific Bell!!! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet speeds consistently slower than paid rate
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only thing any ISP guarantees is the speed of your local connection.

If you run to speedtest.verizon.net with a wired connection to your router and get the speed you are paying for, they have met their part of the contract.

Yes, getting off their network may be poor (which may or may not be their fault), but your contract doesn't cover that.

Just like TV content providers and cable providers squabble over price, the same is happening between Internet content providers and ISPs.

Content providers get a free ride across the ISP network to their customers. If the ISP raises its rates to cover additional infrastrucutre required to handle the increased customer traffic, customers complain. If the ISP refuses ti increase their connectivity to the content providers without some compensation, the customers complain about poor performance.

And the customer is the one stuck in the middle just like they are with TV service.

In the end, it is all about providers (content and ISP) trying to make the most money with the least amount of costs.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Hey...I'm only a fellow user but I doubt that you'd have to pay for a replacement router if yours is defective.

A couple of thoughts that may help one of your fellow users here on the forum come up with a guess at what's causing your problem:

Have you ever seen full download speed since you've had FiOS?

Do you have any neighbors with FiOS, and if so, do they have the same problem?

It sounds as if you have rebooted your router, but have you also tried rebooting your ONT?

Are you testing speeds at www.speedtest.net, and if so, have you tried several different severs?

0 Likes
gonebonanza1

A couple of thoughts that may help one of your fellow users here on the forum come up with a guess at what's causing your problem:

Have you ever seen full download speed since you've had FiOS? Yes, when I first signed up. As today was Presidents day I was home at 7am this morning and I checked the speed, it was up at 50MB/s, sadly I have to work and the speed at this time of day would normally go unnoticed.

Do you have any neighbors with FiOS, and if so, do they have the same problem? Try to make this short. I've seen a few tree trimmers around here subbed by Verizon due to complaints about poor service. My  neighbor has a tree hanging on supposedly FiOS lines, so those houses up the street are reportedly getting crappy service. I thought 'great!' problem solved (when  decides to be home so they can enter his property), turns out I have a line that drops from the pole to my house and is not effected by the tree branch scenario (according to the contractor trimmer that knows the lines). So sorry for all the people up the street,  is never home so they can't trim the branch that pulls the FiOS line down like 7 feet from it's natural position, but turns out this is aside from my issue.

It sounds as if you have rebooted your router, but have you also tried rebooting your ONT? What's the ONT? 

Are you testing speeds at www.speedtest.net, and if so, have you tried several different severs? Yes, server never changed download just ping.

thanks for your feedback.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Here's a link describing the ONT:

http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/general+support/getting+started/que...

You can restart the ONT by disconnecting the connector to if from the BBU (battery backup unit) and then reconnecting it.

However, a key bit of info in your last was that you are getting expected download speeds at some times of the day.  It's unlikely an ONT reboot will solve the problem of intermittent slow speeds.

I'm fortunate in that I've never seen the erractic speeds you're experiencing.  However, numerous other users have posted in many threads on the forum that they're having the same, or at least similar, problem you are.   This is just one such thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/7-11-Slow-Download-Speeds/td-p/745879

If you scroll through forum threads or do some searching you'll find others.

The bottom line, as far as I can tell, if there is a Verizon problem in some areas.  The problem sounds like saturation during peak evening hours.

Maybe someone else here will jump in with another suggestion, but as a user, I can't think of anything you can do to correct the problem except complain to Verizon about it. 

Good luck.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon can only guarantee the performance of their network.

To verify if it is an issue with their itnernal netowrk, check here: http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

If performance is good, it is outside of their network.

If you still have poor performance, these results make it easier to prove to Verizon you have an issue they are responsible for.

gonebonanza1

@CRobGauth wrote:

To verify if it is an issue with their itnernal netowrk, check here: http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

If you still have poor performance, these results make it easier to prove to Verizon you have an issue they are responsible for.

Used the link above and get 13MB/s down and 60 up. I thought the 'peak hours' concept only applied to DSL and FiOS overcame that bandwith clogging deal. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@gonebonanza wrote:

@CRobGauth wrote:

Used the link above and get 13MB/s down and 60 up. I thought the 'peak hours' concept only applied to DSL and FiOS overcame that bandwith clogging deal. 

I used to think that peak hours saturation only applied to cable and, like you, I thought FiOS didn't have the problem.  Unfortuantely, the number of posts where users are having bandwidth problems in the evening has changed my thinking.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Each technology has shared peak hour congestion. Where it cogests depends on how the network designer planned the network and how well the network is maintained. On paper, FiOS is superior in the sense that compared to cable systems and most DSL systems, the last mile should never be a problem. You share 2.4Gbps down, 1.2Gbps up on GPON with up to a potential 64 homes (usually 32). With Cable you generally share up to 672Mbps (assuming 42Mbps per channel on a 16 downstream channel node) download, 168Mbps (assuming 42Mbps per channel on a 4 channel upstream node) with up to potentially a couple hundred homes.

On DSL those numbers typically get worse. Depending on the setup and geography, you could be sharing anything from 6Mbps (4xT1 circuits) to 1Gbps with up to a couple thousand homes. In my area, I share 155Mbps (OC-3 Fiber) with approximately 500 potential homes. There are not that many ports on the DSLAM, but all are in range for at least 5Mbps service.

With FiOS, the OLTS typically connect back to the network using 2x1Gbps Fiber or copper, or a rare 10Gbps circuit. From there you're at the mercy of whatever aggregate network Verizon has in the CO, and then what runs between the Aggregate to the Verizon Residential and Business backbone POP.

Assuming Verizon uses X-GPON at the edge, which supports 10Gbps connections, and Verizon is using 100+Gbps circuits throughout their network, and using routers like the Juniper MX2020, all of the issues should then be falling squarely on either your end or on the rest of the Internet. Sadly, neither one of those is the case. Verizon still messes around with old Redback and ATM gear in many spots.

gonebonanza1

well i'm glad to see that there is no resolution to the problem. So reading through the last lengthy response there is a lack of bandwidth running through my neighborhood. So it the service is restricted/capped, why am I paying Verizon full price for limited services?? Hello Verizon reps out there? 

0 Likes
gonebonanza1

2/21/2015 Update: 15ms Ping, 4.23 MB/s download (you read it right, I didn't miss a number, FiOS @ 4MB/s down is ridiculous), 28.64MB/s Upload. 

Tried to run the Verizon network diagnostic tool, it just sits there saying "Testing in Progress," everything says "Not started" yet I can get to any website so something seems broken. Also installed the "broadband tuner" and that had zero effect on performance. 

Don't see any discounts in my inbox from Verizon. 

0 Likes