Internet upload/download speed
stephenbutts
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm subscribed to 100/100 Mbps.  Using the FIOS speed gauge I get 120+ Mbps upload but only 9 Mbps download.  I am connected by Ethernet to the router.

Any ideas?

-- {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet upload/download speed
stephenbutts
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks to all for the replies.  What puzzled me was not the low speed but the DIFFERENCE in up- and download speeds.  Microsoft told me that my ethernet controll driver was fine and was the most up-to-date available.  Just to verify this, I found out the exact controller hardware I was using, went to the factory site and downloaded their most recent driver.  VOILA!  I now get 103/121 Mbits.  I celebrated by downloading 1 1/2 hours of hi-res (24/96) music in less than 4 minutes.  Whee!

Upshot:

1.  The problem was NOT with FiOS or with the router or cable.

2.  When Microsoft says you have the latest driver, check further.

-- Steve Butts

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have tried rebooting router, than you need to contact support.

either 1800verizon or twitter @verizonsupport.

0 Likes
Tom_in_VA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Try unplugging your ONT and router for several hours.   I had 25/25 service and upgraded to 50/50.  After the upgrade, speed tests showed 30 down and 65 up.   I tried powering off for a few minutes but had same result.  Searched the web and tried a few things over several days.   Finally unplugged the ONT and router, took the dog for a hike, came back after 2 hours and plugged in ONT, and a few minutes later the router.  Now I get 60/60 on wired and wifi.   I have the Actiontec N router.     

stephenbutts
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks to all for the replies.  What puzzled me was not the low speed but the DIFFERENCE in up- and download speeds.  Microsoft told me that my ethernet controll driver was fine and was the most up-to-date available.  Just to verify this, I found out the exact controller hardware I was using, went to the factory site and downloaded their most recent driver.  VOILA!  I now get 103/121 Mbits.  I celebrated by downloading 1 1/2 hours of hi-res (24/96) music in less than 4 minutes.  Whee!

Upshot:

1.  The problem was NOT with FiOS or with the router or cable.

2.  When Microsoft says you have the latest driver, check further.

-- Steve Butts