IOS disconnect
Jimfromjersey

I switched to Fios recently and have problems maintaining connection to the Internet.  For instance, when I go into the Apple News App the phone relies that I am not connected to the Internet.  I check settings and it says I am connected to one of the networks available from my Fios router (2.4 or 5), but I cannot connect unless I change the network (2.4 to 5 or vice versa).  Once I have made the change I am able to connect for a time, but eventually I am faced with a disconnect that does not show in my iPhone settings. I have reset the router numerous times. I have reset the IOS devices affected (iPhone and iPad), but the problem persists.  Any help?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: RFC Standards
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cang_Household wrote:

This raises the question that why IOS devices' names contain spacebars by default.

I think the cause for your IOS device's disconnection is because G3100 refuses to renew the DHCP lease because the device name is illegitimate.

Apple is known to create hackery in their network stacks in the name of convenience. For example, AirDrop. AirDrop/AWDL in particular tends to cause a lot of grief at the office, because it brings up/down network interfaces on the Macs constantly, and thus causes VPN to reconnect each time to re-enforce no-Split Tunnel rules. It also decreases wireless speed, as it forces the wireless radios to operate on different channels whenever AirDrop/AWDL is in the process of doing something.

Then again it may be a software bug which may have yet to get fixed in iOS devices.

View solution in original post

Re: IOS disconnect
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK. Does your Device Name contain a space? Like "somebody's iPhone."

If so, go to your phone's Setting > General > About > Name change the space to an underscore or a dash, as well as delete any special characters.

If this works, please let me know. G3100 has known compatibility issues. The forum users are investigating the cause, as you can see in other similar posts.

RFC Standards
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. I find the document that decrees device name to not contain any special characters except dash and period.

IETF RFC 952 states that:

1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
   to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
   sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
   they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". (See
   RFC-921, "Domain Name System Implementation Schedule", for
   background).  No blank or space characters are permitted as part of a
   name. No distinction is made between upper and lower case.

It seems that G3100 enforces this rule for IETF. G1100 is kind of lenient of this rule.

This raises the question that why IOS devices' names contain spacebars by default.

I think the cause for your IOS device's disconnection is because G3100 refuses to renew the DHCP lease because the device name is illegitimate.

Re: RFC Standards
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cang_Household wrote:

Apple is known to create hackery in their network stacks in the name of convenience. For example, AirDrop. AirDrop/AWDL in particular tends to cause a lot of grief at the office, because it brings up/down network interfaces on the Macs constantly, and thus causes VPN to reconnect each time to re-enforce no-Split Tunnel rules. It also decreases wireless speed, as it forces the wireless radios to operate on different channels whenever AirDrop/AWDL is in the process of doing something.

Then again it may be a software bug which may have yet to get fixed in iOS devices.