iPhone 4 Not Staying Connected
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

Last week I upgraded my router from a first-gen Actiontec router to a second-gen MI424WR-GEN2, Rev F router (though tech support did say they were sending me a GEN3 model. Is there no GEN3 model or did I get shafted? I just noticed this now).

Anyway, ever since I got the new device an iPhone 4 in my house has been unable to hold a steady connection. It constantly drops wifi, goes to 3G, then reconnects again. It's problematic, both from a useability standpoint and a limited cellular data standpoint.

Any ideas on what might be causing this and what might fix it?

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4 Not Staying Connected
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

For the wireless security type do you know if you are using WEP or WPA? 

If you are using WEB you should try to change it to WPA2.  This is a much better security method for securing your wireless LAN network.

Jim

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

I'm using WPA2.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the iPhone is running iOS6, does it have the latest system update installed? There were some known issues in early versions of iOS 6 with Wi-Fi, and there still are to my knowledge which Apple has had in iOS since iOS3.

I would also consider double checking the Performance setting for the Wi-Fi. If it's set to B/G mixed try B/G/N since newer iPhones are Wireless N Compatible. Also, consider disabling auto-channel scanning in the ActionTec if it's enabled so that isn't causing issues.

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

It's running iOS 5. That gave me the idea of updating to iOS 6 (I've been meaning to do it anyway) and see if that fixes the problem.

It is running in b/g/n mode.

0 Likes
anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

Updating to iOS 6.1 did not fix the issue.

0 Likes
aliasneo1
Enthusiast - Level 3

gp buy a Verizon N router

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

this is the only solution

if yu have a FIOS 75/35 or 150/65 expect it free from Verizon

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have been using various Apple Products on my wireless LAN network for a while and I never have any issues such as Iphone 4, 4S, and various generations of IPOD Touch's.

First things first, I suggest you clean everything up.  Go under settings, choose your current home wireless LAN network and say Forget This Network.  Reboot your IPHONE 4.

Connect to the Router on a wired connection and reset the router back to factory defaults.

If your router defaults to WEP I suggest you change it to WPA2 and enter your desired SSID name and pre-shared key.

Make sure the the channel is set to automatic. 

Now reconnect to your home wireless network.

If you still have problems then try to change the channel to either 1,6 or 11.

You may also want to set the wireless Mode to 802.11G.  

Report back results

Jim

anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

aliasneo wrote:

gp buy a Verizon N router

this is the only solution

As stated in my original post, this is what caused the problem.

jumpin68ny wrote:

I have been using various Apple Products on my wireless LAN network for a while and I never have any issues such as Iphone 4, 4S, and various generations of IPOD Touch's.

First things first, I suggest you clean everything up.  Go under settings, choose your current home wireless LAN network and say Forget This Network.  Reboot your IPHONE 4.

Connect to the Router on a wired connection and reset the router back to factory defaults.

If your router defaults to WEP I suggest you change it to WPA2 and enter your desired SSID name and pre-shared key.

Make sure the the channel is set to automatic. 

Now reconnect to your home wireless network.

If you still have problems then try to change the channel to either 1,6 or 11.

You may also want to set the wireless Mode to 802.11G.  

Report back results

Jim

I've done all the basic trouble shooting steps. I'm looking for advanced help.
0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Has this device been able to hold a steady connection to any other wireless LAN network?  Do other wireless devices have the same problem or just the IPHONE4?

0 Likes