Is 50/50 Internet Self-Installable?
elijah129
Enthusiast - Level 2

My equipment was just shipped out and I'm wondering if I can install the service myself. The technician is kind of price, even with discount ($90.00). Figured I would appeal to actual customers as the virtual assistant wasn't much help.

0 Likes
Re: Is 50/50 Internet Self-Installable?
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello,

This all depends on what you currently have installed. If you already have a Verizon FiOS box at your location, I don't see why you coulden't self install. 

Anywhere on your building, do you see a white box with "Verizon" marked on it? 

It should look something like these boxes on this page: https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/general+support/getting+started/qu...

If you don't, you most likely will need a technician since they have to run a new line to your home from the telephone pole. FiOS uses fiber optic cables, and unlike coax and copper phone lines, most houses where FiOS is relatively new does not have these new wires installed yet. 

If however you do have one of these boxes, insist with customer support for using the self install kit. 

0 Likes
elijah129
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks SO MUCH Justin for your response. I will look for that white Verizon box once I get home. Although now that I think about it, it's not a separate house (connected to other homes), so probably doesn't have the Verizon box, right? I wouldn't even know where to look.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sometimes they put the box outside, but if you don't see the outside box, check in any basement or crawlspace. If you still can't find any, follow the wires on the outside of the house that you see coming from the telephone pole, see where they go into the house, then look on the other side of the wall inside. 

Unfortunately Verizon uses tons of different models of these boxes, so I can't tell you exactly what is what. Look for any kind of box with a Verizon logo. If you wanted, you could post a photo of the boxes and I could identify what service you have. 

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

What 

Equipment Model No. ?....Are you getting
Router
Set Top Box
DVR

The attached file is my Optical Network Terminal (ONT) 

You need somthing like that to "translate" what is coming from the fiber optic cable.

My ONT is located inside in my garage.

If you don't have one like it VZ techs have to install one.

0 Likes