Is a modem needed? Not obvious answer....
pixro

Currently have Fios feeding directly to Apple Time Capsule ...been this way for years. Cat5E from ONT to Time Capsule.

time Capsule is quiet old and looking at upgrading to Lynksys Velop. Really do NOT want to add on yet another box as a mode, Router has pretty solid security so not worried from that perspective. Can Velop act as router and modem. Is modem needed. If yes, what is recommended? 
primary use cases - streaming video, file management/server.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is a modem needed? Not obvious answer....
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

No modems with Fios...just routers. Just about any router will work on Fios as long as television coupled with the 4100 series STBs are not subscribed to/in use.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

No modems with Fios...just routers. Just about any router will work on Fios as long as television coupled with the 4100 series STBs are not subscribed to/in use.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Repeat after me: Fios does not use Modems.

The closet possible thing to what a modem is (and does) I say is the ONT.

Coverts from one network media to other and the other way around.

Not sure but also see https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/modem-vs-router/

That was found with an online search engine (ex Google) searching for what is a modem

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes