Is Fios compatible with Windows 7 64-Bit?
Vincent-S
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to know if Verizon FIOS is compatible with windows 7 64-bit because I've seen some topics on the internet where there are problems with it. If you need more info about the computer, please let me know, but keep in mind that my computer has pretty decent specs. (corei7 processor, Gigs of ram, ATI Radeon 5770, etc )

Thanks for any help you can give me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is Fios compatible with Windows 7 64-Bit?
Justin46
Legend

To expand on the first reply, I do have FiOS TV and internet, and there is absolutely no need to install any Verizon software on your computer to use the service. I do not currently have any installed on my Windows 7 64-bit system that I am typing this on right now, have been using this laptop since Oct 22, 2009 with Windows 7 on FiOS, works fine.

And if you do decide you want to install some Verizon software, my experience is that some probably will work, some probably will not. For example, the Verizon Call Assistant (VCA) client didn't work worth a *&^%#@, at least for me, but I don't need it as I have a very reliable Caller ID on TV setup and if I really need to access VCA I can use the website anyway. (and FWIW, that client didn't work correctly on Windows XP either!). I tried the PC-based In-Home Agent client, sort of seemed to work, but since I didn't have any problems or issues that needed to be fixed I deleted it.

Unless you really need a specific Verizon program, don't worry about it.

And just for completeness, I have not yet found any sofware, fee or free, from anybody, that won't work with FiOS, be it email (Windows Live Mail), browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome), Avast anti-virus, etc, etc, etc. Of course I am sure that there is at least one program out there that won't work, but so far I have not found it Smiley Very Happy

Edit: just saw your reply. I pay for 25 mbs down, 15 mbs up service, and I typically get 24+ down and 23+ up, wired or wireless, from multiple speed test sites, no tuning of Windows 7 on my part. It just works for me; some people do seem to have performance and/or connectivity issues, l don't and I don't know why they do. But one thing I will warn you about is that if you have a cordless phone (2.4 GHz) and you decide to use wireless, you may experience some connectivity problems when using the wireless connection, if you do try changing the channel number in the router to 1, 6, or 11.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 While I do not have FIOS, I know right/correct answer.

As long as you do not install their software on your computer, it will work fine.

#2 If you want to install their software:

When asking, be as Specific as you can. For example, you might ask about their Vz In-Home Agent.

^^

0 Likes
Vincent-S
Enthusiast - Level 1

Im not really interested in installing any software, just want to use the internet. fast. We're going to have our wired, since our desktops didnt come with wireless.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

To expand on the first reply, I do have FiOS TV and internet, and there is absolutely no need to install any Verizon software on your computer to use the service. I do not currently have any installed on my Windows 7 64-bit system that I am typing this on right now, have been using this laptop since Oct 22, 2009 with Windows 7 on FiOS, works fine.

And if you do decide you want to install some Verizon software, my experience is that some probably will work, some probably will not. For example, the Verizon Call Assistant (VCA) client didn't work worth a *&^%#@, at least for me, but I don't need it as I have a very reliable Caller ID on TV setup and if I really need to access VCA I can use the website anyway. (and FWIW, that client didn't work correctly on Windows XP either!). I tried the PC-based In-Home Agent client, sort of seemed to work, but since I didn't have any problems or issues that needed to be fixed I deleted it.

Unless you really need a specific Verizon program, don't worry about it.

And just for completeness, I have not yet found any sofware, fee or free, from anybody, that won't work with FiOS, be it email (Windows Live Mail), browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome), Avast anti-virus, etc, etc, etc. Of course I am sure that there is at least one program out there that won't work, but so far I have not found it Smiley Very Happy

Edit: just saw your reply. I pay for 25 mbs down, 15 mbs up service, and I typically get 24+ down and 23+ up, wired or wireless, from multiple speed test sites, no tuning of Windows 7 on my part. It just works for me; some people do seem to have performance and/or connectivity issues, l don't and I don't know why they do. But one thing I will warn you about is that if you have a cordless phone (2.4 GHz) and you decide to use wireless, you may experience some connectivity problems when using the wireless connection, if you do try changing the channel number in the router to 1, 6, or 11.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

Vincent-S
Enthusiast - Level 1

i have no need for wireless nor have I ever used it because of connectivity issues. Im glad to hear that it works with FIOS, I was just worried because there are times when some things doesnt work because of Windows 7. Im expecting my installation this coming Friday, Hope it all works out!

And thanks for your informations guys, appreciate the community participation here 😄

0 Likes
stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3

From my experiance , you wont have any problems  with  FIOS and Win7 x64 either wired or wireless ,  desktop or laptop  ,online or otherwise   .

0 Likes