Youtube
erick4548
Enthusiast - Level 3

For some reason about 3-4 weeks ago i beging to noticed that me watching a 1080p and 720p doent happen anymore it takes forever for the videos to load i have never had this issed until recently and its not just me all over your FB profile you can see customers experiencing the same issue this needs to get fixed because we cant enjoy YouTube which is the biggest video site that everyone in the world uses. i have the new quantum speeds i have the 50/25 tier i had the old 15/5 before and i never had an issue so please fix this i dont want to wait about 5 minutes for a video to load it should buffer quick because its a home network and its suppose to be faster than other companies. THIS HAPPENS ON BOTH MY MACBOOK PRO AND iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 takes very long to buffer and i get a lot of middle buffering in between the videos

0 Likes
Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
Titanbry77

Add me to the list.  I've called support a few times, I've only noticed it the past month or so, I'm in the Maryland area.

Something has to be done, there are times when YouTube is crippled.  My 3 year old son loves the HooplaKids channel and my 6 year old loves the science channel.  There are times when you just can't watch them because it freezes/buffers too much.

I've ran Speedtest's when it's doing that and the internet is blazing fast, I have no problems ever with Netflix etc, I usually average 80+mbps and 40+mbps upload.  I tried using OpenDns and that didn't do much.

0 Likes
theguy9
Enthusiast - Level 1

yea this is bull ive never had any problems with comcast as far as youtube

C:\Users\Ben>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.228.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
  2    18 ms     9 ms     8 ms  L100.WASHDC-VFTTP-68.verizon-gni.net [96.255.89.
1]
  3    18 ms    16 ms    15 ms  G0-12-4-7.WASHDC-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.
189.64]
  4    57 ms    16 ms     8 ms  ae0-0.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.209.11
4]
  5    11 ms     7 ms    18 ms  0.xe-4-0-3.XL4.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.30.9]
  6    15 ms    19 ms    19 ms  TenGigE0-7-2-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.37.94]

7    80 ms    88 ms   106 ms  google-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.50.62]
  8     9 ms    18 ms    17 ms  216.239.46.248
  9    20 ms    20 ms    16 ms  72.14.238.173
 10    12 ms    17 ms    18 ms  iad23s05-in-f2.1e100.net [74.125.228.2]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Ben>

crazypnut

I just got service installed - also having this issue.  Applies also to HBOGO and even some personally uploaded Facebook video.

Is this a new issue?  Or has it been ongoing?

0 Likes
lingod12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been noticing this issue more and more lately.  Especially in the last week.  I have run multiple ping plotters and they always point to the same server.  152.179.50.106   google-gw.customer.alter.net  This is a verizon server as far as I can tell and NOT a google server.  I will be calling tomorrow to speak with tech support and give them the plethora of data I have accumulated through the ping plotters all pointing to this server.  This is unsatisfactory, Verizon needs to rectify this problem ASAP!

0 Likes
lingod12
Enthusiast - Level 2
The most frustrating part is that even though this server/router has it's service provided by Verizon, tech support said they could not help me because I have residential but the problem server/router has business service and Verizon Residential can't talk to Verizon Business, so he told me I could try to get in touch with them myself.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@lingod12 wrote:

I have been noticing this issue more and more lately.  Especially in the last week.  I have run multiple ping plotters and they always point to the same server.  152.179.50.106   google-gw.customer.alter.net  This is a verizon server as far as I can tell and NOT a google server.  I will be calling tomorrow to speak with tech support and give them the plethora of data I have accumulated through the ping plotters all pointing to this server.  This is unsatisfactory, Verizon needs to rectify this problem ASAP!

google-gw.customer.alter.net

This is a Google Peering point, that they set up with Verizon and paid for.   So they called verizon, said they need access to the network, this is how much bandwidth they will need, and verizon set it up according to googles requirement.   IOW they are Verizon Customers too. 

If google is getting hammered, or experiencing difficulty on their network, you will see it represented in higher ping times, and latency and jitter.  They need to increase their bandwidth.  

Google is acting just like you in this scenario.  They are calling up verizon as a customer and saying sign me up for xyz.  Verizon sets it up.   

Now if you start downloading and pushing more traffic than your network can handle with the price plan you purchased, what do you do?  you call and ask for more, or you make adjustments to your network to compensate.   Same thing here. 

Also, here is a permalink to a similar discussion that outlines what you are seeing in more detail. 

Hubrisnxs
Legend

For Windows XP and higher:

1. Open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security through the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel
2. Click on New Rule link on the right Sidebar
3. Select Custom Rule
4. Leave All Programs selected, click next
5. Protocol type: All, click next
6. Select "These IP addresses" in the remote IP addresses section, click Add button
7. Paste: 206.111.0.0/16 into the box and click OK
8. Make sure Block This Connection is selected, click Next
9. Be sure Private and Public networks are checked (if Domain is listed, check it too), click Next
10. Name the rule. I used "Youtube Fix"
11. Click Finish
12. Test your connection with Youtube

as a fair warning, even the backup servers go slow on some days... so although this fix can give you relief most of the time, it won't work all of the time.

For those of you that don't fully understand what is going on, when you block the range of IP addresses to YouTube's primary servers, you're then redirected to the backup servers...which tend to get far less traffic and run far faster (at least until millions of people start doing this "fix").

hitesh1
Enthusiast - Level 1
Is there anyway to set this up at the Verizon router itself that we get? I tried using the firewall area but it didn't seem to help
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Here are instructions for doing it in the Actiontec Router, with Both bad IP address ranges 

• Log into your FIOS Router

• Click Firewall Setting (at top)

• Click Yes to proceed

• Click Advanced Filtering (on left)

• Click Add on the broadband connection rules you have setup (either coax or ethernet). You can check which one yours uses by going to My Network (up top) and clicking Network Connections (on left), look for the one that says connected.

• Change Source address to User Defined in the drop down list

• Enter a description (i.e. Youtube Throttling)

• Click Add under items

• Change Network Object Type toa IP Range

• Enter 173.194.55.0 in the From IP Address

• Enter 173.194.55.255 in the To IP Address

• Click Apply

• Click Add under items

• Change Network Object Type to IP Range

• Enter 206.111.0.0 in the From IP Address

• Enter 206.111.0.255 in the To IP Address

• Click Apply

• Click Apply again

• Click Reject under the Operation drop down list