Re: Is it me or youtube being slow at times?
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

See, based on the article,  it's contentious company relationships that is causing the problem. One company doesn't want to give money to another company so all the consumers get low performance. It's really agitating to look at it. We didn't cause any of these bad relationships, so why does all the consequences come to the innocent users who use this ISP?

elclanrs

Verizon is definitely trhottling Youtube, there's no question about that. If you use a decent proxy you'll get a decent Youtube. Verizon will deny this is happening and it's sad and sickening we can't do anything about it.

So to everybody reading this thread, don't get fooled, Verizon throttles your connection.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@elclanrs wrote:

Verizon is definitely trhottling Youtube, there's no question about that. If you use a decent proxy you'll get a decent Youtube. Verizon will deny this is happening and it's sad and sickening we can't do anything about it.

So to everybody reading this thread, don't get fooled, Verizon throttles your connection.

Read the article posted only a few messages earlier.  No its not throttling your connection but just letting the connections between them and others overload.  And as the article mentions several other companies had similar disputes with cogent (I think they are behind the current YouTube problems and know they are behind the Netflix problems) and did the same at various times. 

texburgher

Since switching from Comcast to Verizon 14 months ago, I've had consistent (read: every single attempt, no exceptions) issues pulling down YouTube video content. Any device over my home FiOS connection can barely pull down 240p videos without stalling to buffer - let alone 1080p. It is exceedingly rare to experience similar issues with any other video service. If I'm on my phone and switch from FiOS over wifi to LTE, the problem is resolved instantly. Yes, I've tried resetting all the equipment, and yes, I've tried plugging into an ethernet jack on the modem rather than use wifi. To no avail.

Now, there's a wonderful fix here: http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-sucks-for-youtube-twitchtv/

and it works for Verizon FiOS as well as for TWC - and it solves the problem on your computer. But it won't solve the problem on your other devices. Therefore, at my house, we cannot watch YouTube videos AT ALL from our Apple TV because they stall so badly. If I want to watch anything from my phone, I have to switch to LTE (can't use FiOS).

What's frustrating about this is that Verizon is happy to push "upgrades" to faster FiOS plans, and happy to take our money for the promise of improved speed. But many users never see that speed, because one of the primary use cases for high-bandwidth internet access – watching YouTube videos – is broken for them. It doesn't matter what technical excuse/explanation Verizon or its apologists release for this, it's a misrepresentation of service offerings not to issue a disclaimer about what to expect regarding YouTube access over FiOS.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check this guide out. You can use the Firewall capabilities of the ActionTec to apply the blocks: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28071070-How-to-Reddit-YouTube-firewall-rule-with-MI424wr

0 Likes