Is it possible to add a wireless bridge?
arbiggsjr

I have FiOS and the Actiontek MI42WR with wireless turned on. I would like to connect to it from another floor with a system that cannot use wireless so I thought I would add a bridge, Netgear WGR614v10. I went thru the setup process for the Netgear router to be used as a wireless bridge changing the SSID, IP, entering the base MAC, etc., but it does not connect to the base (Actinotek). I can connect to the Netgear from my laptop (wireless off) using a cable and to the base with the laptop's wireless.  I see a mention of disabling the DHCP server function but I don't see that option on either router.  Does anyone know if I can make this work or have any ideas/suggestions how to do it?

Thanks,

ARB

0 Likes
Re: Is it possible to add a wireless bridge?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the current LAN IP of the Actiontek MI42WR?

#2 What is the current LAN IP of the Netgear?

#3 In your Netgear router go to LAN IP Setup.

This where the DHCP Range is at and where you could turn off the DHCP Server.

#4 In the Actiontek MI42WR, the DHCP range is at IP Address Distribution

#5 What is the current DHCP Range of the Actiontek MI42WR?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@arbiggsjr wrote:

I have FiOS and the Actiontek MI42WR with wireless turned on. I would like to connect to it from another floor with a system that cannot use wireless so I thought I would add a bridge, Netgear WGR614v10. I went thru the setup process for the Netgear router to be used as a wireless bridge changing the SSID, IP, entering the base MAC, etc., but it does not connect to the base (Actinotek). I can connect to the Netgear from my laptop (wireless off) using a cable and to the base with the laptop's wireless.  I see a mention of disabling the DHCP server function but I don't see that option on either router.  Does anyone know if I can make this work or have any ideas/suggestions how to do it?

Thanks,

ARB

The WGR614 is a wireless router.  It can only act as a a bridge if you connect it wired to the Actiontec router. and then one or the others will handle dhcp.

What you are trying to do is to run a wireless extender which can't be done wirelessly with that device (without hacking the firmware)

0 Likes
arbiggsjr

Thanks for the assist.

It looks as though the MI42WR is set at 192.168.1.1 and set for addressing the range, 192.168.1.2 - 255.

I set the Netgear to 192.168.1.6.  Which is outside the connected systems which are .1 - .3.

In the Netgear manual the show the Router Status as the place to see the DHCP entry. After going through the Wireless Repeating Function set up, going to Router Status shows no entry for DHCP.

My confusion comes because it appears the DHCP server function is disabled on the repeater (Netgear), but I still get no wireless connection to the base.  That made me wonder if the note meant to turn off the DHCP server function of the base unit.

I will see if I can go the the LAN IP Setup and turn off the DHCP server.

Thanks again! 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, this is what you need to do.

#1 In the MI42WR, change the DHCP Range so that it is

192.168.1.10-192.168.1.255

#2 This way the IP Address of the Netgear ( 192.168.1.6 ) is outside of that range.

#3 Turn off the DHCP Server in the Netgear.

0 Likes
arbiggsjr

Thanks again.  I'll set it and see what I get.

I appreciate it.

ARB

0 Likes
gizarm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll be interested in your results. Hopefully successful! I tried every possible configuration using the same Netgear model v.6 but with no luck and gave up out of frustration.

0 Likes
BPowers

If you have a coax port handy you might also try a MoCA bridge - no real setup required and works like a wired ethernet connection to your PC.  Actiontec, Netgear and Dlink sell these bridges and you just plug one end to the coax and the other end to the Ethernet port in your PC.  Your Actiontec router broadcasts MoCA through the coax in your home.

0 Likes