Is it possible to get a 2nd FiOS Internet Line
PixelSlave
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have a residential FiOS. I also run a home based business. For business, security and taxing purpose, I want to get a second FiOS line that's totally separated from my current residential line. I only want data, no phone, no TV. Is it possible? In the past, when I was using DSL, I could get two separate DSLs within one household. Can this be done with FiOS?

BTW, since I am looking to pay two bills, I really hope that it would mean two independent lines? If I pay twice as much, but only get one line splitting out into two, then there's no point for me to do that.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is it possible to get a 2nd FiOS Internet Line
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah, its possible. And like said above, they would have to install a second ONT.

But be prepared for a fight. They will not want to do this. In many cases they only have enough lines to give one ONT per house on a block. And to give you 2, that would mean one house on the block would not be able to get one (in most cases anyway, there are exceptions YMMV). Now they understand that not everyone in a neighborhood will want fios so many times they will let you do this. But it is possible that they will deny it as well. Depends on how the neighborhood is engineered.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Yes, it is possible to get two FIOS connections.

VZ will install a second fiber drop and second ONT.

You may need to make the address of the second connection slightly different from the first connection.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah, its possible. And like said above, they would have to install a second ONT.

But be prepared for a fight. They will not want to do this. In many cases they only have enough lines to give one ONT per house on a block. And to give you 2, that would mean one house on the block would not be able to get one (in most cases anyway, there are exceptions YMMV). Now they understand that not everyone in a neighborhood will want fios so many times they will let you do this. But it is possible that they will deny it as well. Depends on how the neighborhood is engineered.

irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

I am in exactly the same position as you.  I have a home based business for many years and had Verizon Business DSL but I also had Time Warner cable for residential .  Two months ago I finally broke down and got residential FIOS but I use it for my business 95% of the time.  Also,  I never closed my business DSL line but it's not hooked up.I have a fear that if FIOS goes down, I need a backup service.  And I always say thank goodness I had Time Warner for the times DSL went down, which was rare.   I also like the fact that business customers seem to get primary service when there is trouble on the lines.  I always got preference over my residential neighbors. 

Last night I called FIOS because of speed issues and told them I am so sorry I didn't order Business FIOS from the start.  The rep told me that I can order a Business Line (with Static IP) in addition to my residential account.   I was supposed to call today to see if that's true and if it means I'll need a second ONT.  The tech said no I won't.   I'm not so sure of that. But if so, I am going to order a static business line  so that it is a true business expense and write-off.

PixelSlave
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am currently using FiOS, as well as a static IP cable modem line from Optimum. I don't know about other people, but here, my FiOS beats the Optimum line in terms of speed and reliability with its fingernail. I've been using both for 3 years, the FiOS line had not gone down for a single day. There were occasions it slowed down, but when it's slow, it's still faster than the cable modem (even though on paper, their speed should be roughly the same.) The cable modem line was supposed to be used as my business line, but it went down at least once a month, and often took more than a day for Optimum to fix the problems. So, I rarely use it now, and I thought "go to hell for a backup line" -- the Optimum line is not reliable as a backup anyway -- if I pay for the second line just for taxing purpose, I should get a FiOS instead!

Thanks everyone for sharing your input. I will definitely give it a try.