Is Verizion FIOS slowing down my music service at night?
axtx

Hello - have an odd problem.  Most nights the music service I subscribe to (Qobuz - all FLAC streaming) starts slowing down and becoming unusable after around 6-7 pm thru midnight.  The next morning it is fine.  I have eliminated the service as the issue by setting up my Iphone hotspot and it works fine.  I have the 50/25 service, hard wired to my router.  The only thing that makes sense to me is that Verizon is slowing down this service.  Why, I don't know. . .guessing they are confusing it with something else, or it is accidental.

Note that my speed stays at 50/25, everything else in the house works fine - netflix, amazon prime, etc.  No issues.   And again, if I use my iphone as a hotspot Qobuz works fine.

So. . .How can I get this stopped?  It is killing my nighttime music enjoyment.

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizion FIOS slowing down my music service at night?
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi axtx,

Sorry for the issue.  Thank you for taking steps on trying to isolate the issue.  Something else may be going on.  If you don't mind, next time the issue is happening, try the following step:

Reset the fios router by holding the reset button on the back of it for 15 seconds.  After the internet light turns green again, check it to see if it still happens. 

If it still persists, try manually rebooting your ONT using the follow steps

•Disconnect the AC from the Power Supply Unit (PSU).
•Remove one lead from the battery in the Battery Backup Unit (BBU).
•Wait one minute.
•Reconnect the battery lead.
•Reconnect AC to the PSU.

Wait about five minutes after the last step above or until the internet light is green again on the fios router.  If the issue is still going on for the music service, please let us know.

Thanks,

CJH

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

I and a lot of others also have been experiencing slow downs at night that can be confirmed by running the Verizon Speed Test:    http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

Run that during the day a few times and again at night a few times and post your results here.  The problem I have is that Verizon will not do anything about it unless there is a tech at your house when the speed test results return below what they should be, and of course they won't be there at night.  I also see slowdowns on the weekend in the day, though not as consistent as during the weeknights, so a tech is scheduled to come out on Saturday.

Also, let us know if the troubleshooting steps listed in the post above have any effect.

0 Likes
axtx

For me the speedtest(s) - I have tried them all. . .STAY high (usually above 50mbps). Everthing else works as it should with no degradation.  ONLY this one service and only when going thru the fios network - as I said, I can turn the hotspot on my phone and run multiple computers streaming flac with no issue.

0 Likes
axtx

Thanks - I'll do it tonight (or the next time it happens).

0 Likes
axtx

Ok - the problem started tonight around 8:20.  I left it running all day to make sure I would notice when it started.

I tried the steps outlined above:

1.  Reset the router and waited - no difference.

2.  Unplugged the ONT box and disconnected the battery - no difference.

Note that my speed tests are running around 45-54MBs.

I set my phone up as a hotspot - ran 3 different computers accessing and playing FLAC files from Qobuz - no issue.  Can stream movies, no issue.

Verizon is slowing the Qobuz traffic or something is causing it to slow within the Verizon system.

So. . who do I call or email to resolve this?  There is no reason for this to occur.

Thanks.

0 Likes