Is Verizon caching requested web pages on a proxy server with the intention of improving performance
tr8881
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently switched to Verizon FiOS after being a long-term Comcast customer.  I notice with FiOS that I often have trouble refreshing pages.  Is FiOS caching requests on a proxy server with the intention of improving performance?  

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon caching requested web pages on a proxy server with the intention of improving perform
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's no proxy server. It's a direct connection end to end. Make sure the problem isn't from connections stalling out if you're familiar with using data sniffing tools such as Wireshark. Also, consider changing your DNS Servers to something else, rather than the router/Verizon's DNS. They could be to blame as well.

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon caching requested web pages on a proxy server with the intention of improving perform
tr8881
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I used Gibson Research (grc.com) DNS utility to pick some fast  DNS servers.

When I do a tracert, 130.81.199.18 often times out.  I believe that is a Verizon server because the server immediately above it is at verizon-gni-net and it has 130.81.97.88

For all my advertised speed, surfing the internet is as slow as molasses.  I remember faster surfing with DSL.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tr888 wrote:

Thanks. I used Gibson Research (grc.com) DNS utility to pick some fast  DNS servers.

When I do a tracert, 130.81.199.18 often times out.  I believe that is a Verizon server because the server immediately above it is at verizon-gni-net and it has 130.81.97.88

For all my advertised speed, surfing the internet is as slow as molasses.  I remember faster surfing with DSL.

Time outs are often meaningless in trace routes.  Some routers are set to never respond or to respond at a lower priority.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you could, try running an NDT test from the following website for me. It's off network, so it's a good indication of what's happening. Just be sure to run this from a Wired connection. Wireless can be a mixed bag of results.

http://web100.rit.edu:7123/ 

Be aware Java is needed. You may also want to run the following test as well: http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

If you could supply the URL to the Netalyzer test when it completes, along with a screenshot or a copy/paste of the NDT results that would be great. Make sure you run the tests during a bad time.

0 Likes
jonathanb1

Verizon is almost certainly caching webpages without informing users. This is infuriating. I tested this by changing a static page on my website, and then clearing the cache on my browser. I even tried loading with a completely different computer that had never loaded the page. It was clear that the old web page was being served from somewhere outside my LAN. It's possible the router is doing it, I suppose, but it's definitely something Verizon is doing without properly informing users. They are supposed to be providing internet access, not access to a cached version of the internet on their own schedule.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes