Re: Is Verizon going to acknowlege the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3
I honestly believe you are trying to answer what you feel like answering versus answering my questions/issues. BTW, I don’t have a cordless phone, I don’t have a  baby monitor and I don’t have a  garage door opener. Numerous posters here have changed the channel on the Actiontech router and the issue is still the same. Again, must I repeat, I previously had Comcast for over a year with my same Vista computer(at my home) with absolutely no problem. Then I used a Linksys router. When I log onto my neighbor wireless signal(she uses Comcast), I don’t have the problem.  When I go to  my friends house, I don’t have that problem.  If  you read my post with t he 5 points, you would come to the conclusion that the issue lies with the FIOS internet service and the routers they provide(Actiontech and Westell). Why doesn’t anyone answering/addressing my question also address the issues I raised before and not go around beating the bush.    
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

fiostvman, I don't believe that anyone is trying to give you a beat around the bush answer. I'd have to agree with Charlesh last post but I will address your 5 points

1. My problem started when I switched from Comcast to FIOS last September. Could Clearly point to the router

2. Problem affects Vista customers who use both the Actiontech Router and the Westell Router. Could Clearly point to the router

3. Users who used the Verizon supplied D-link router(for internet only) don't have this problem. The second they switch to the Actiontech or the Westell Router, the "disappearing globe" problem began. Could clearly point to the router

4. Users who bridge the actiontech router and switch to ANY OTHER ROUTER (that they purchased) do not have this problem. Could Clearly point to the router

5. Vista users (including myself) who leave the FIOS internet and use another ISP don't have this problem. Could Clearly point to the router.

Please take some time to Trouble shoot or advise us what you have tried there are numerous things that do interfere with the wireless. I would have to agree D-link and Linksys are very good routers and may not have problems. Your Droping in the wireless signal could very well be fixed by changing the wireless channel its broadcast on.

0 Likes
I_Am_The_Stig

It is unfortunate that I felt compelled to sign up because of this thread. I enjoy lurking here and generally find the employee responses helpful.

I would like to respond to some of the responses: 

The OP is incorrect in his assertion that the problem only exists with Verizon supplied routers.

The bug quite happily manifests itself on D-Link, Linksys and Netgear routers to name a few.

The "only known issue" was fixed in Vista SP1.

The "other issue that is known" is a complete red herring with respect to FIOS. Even disabling a second network adapter makes no difference.

I don't know whether CharlesH was having a bad day, but comments such as:

"You are running Microsoft Vista, expect to have issues from a buggy operating systems. Want the issues to melt away, Windows XP is still available for purchase."

are less than helpful. Not to mention that XP is reaching the end of its support lifecycle. It is not in keeping with his other posts.

Are we to assume that Verizon's official position is that Vista is a complete piece of....well you complete the sentence.

I would agree that the wireless dropouts are completely unrelated to the Globe issue.

The bug is quite happily there on a wired connection as well.

What is clear is that the Globe issue is almost exclusively a problem for people who:

a) have FIOS internet
b) use Vista

I can confirm that this was never an issue with any ISPs I've used in UK, Italy or USA with Vista. It only appeared when I moved to FIOS.

It would appear to be a subtle problem with how the FIOS service is delivered and the new networking scheme in Vista.

Unfortunately, whilst two corporations play the blame game, only the consumer is the loser.

CharlesH has made it abundantly clear that Verizon has no intention of pursuing this further.

By the way, the same bug is apparent in Windows 7 beta, so you'll be pleased to know that this will be around for years to come.

It's high time people, sufficiently high in the food chain, from both Verizon and Microsoft were locked in a room and told not to ask to come out until this problem was resolved.

Of course, just to spite me, I haven't lost the Globe for several days, although probably the mere mention will cause it to disappear again 🙂

I should add that my experience with FIOS has been positive but I didn't find the Verizon responses in this thread either helpful or constructive.

Message Edited by I_Am_The_Stig on 02-02-2009 02:08 PM
Message Edited by I_Am_The_Stig on 02-02-2009 02:14 PM
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Techman28 wrote:

fiostvman, I don't believe that anyone is trying to give you a beat around the bush answer. I'd have to agree with Charlesh last post but I will address your 5 points

1. My problem started when I switched from Comcast to FIOS last September. Could Clearly point to the router

2. Problem affects Vista customers who use both the Actiontech Router and the Westell Router. Could Clearly point to the router

3. Users who used the Verizon supplied D-link router(for internet only) don't have this problem. The second they switch to the Actiontech or the Westell Router, the "disappearing globe" problem began. Could clearly point to the router

4. Users who bridge the actiontech router and switch to ANY OTHER ROUTER (that they purchased) do not have this problem. Could Clearly point to the router

5. Vista users (including myself) who leave the FIOS internet and use another ISP don't have this problem. Could Clearly point to the router.

Please take some time to Trouble shoot or advise us what you have tried there are numerous things that do interfere with the wireless. I would have to agree D-link and Linksys are very good routers and may not have problems. Your Droping in the wireless signal could very well be fixed by changing the wireless channel its broadcast on.

Would you mind sharing how to change the "channel" on the Actiontech Router. Please be very specific since I am not a techie.

0 Likes
tsk
Enthusiast - Level 3

@I_Am_The_Stig wrote:

The OP is incorrect in his assertion that the problem only exists with Verizon supplied routers.

The bug quite happily manifests itself on D-Link, Linksys and Netgear routers to name a few.

I haven't seen postings that note other routers cause this problem, though I have not read them all.  I have seen references that it is only the ActionTec and possibly the Westel routers being used in those cases where there are issues, and that the D-Link originally supplied by Verizon did not/does not seem to hav this problem..  I know I don't have any issues with my non-ActionTec router.

It would appear to be a subtle problem with how the FIOS service is delivered and the new networking scheme in Vista.

[snip]

By the way, the same bug is apparent in Windows 7 beta, so you'll be pleased to know that this will be around for years to come.

When Vista was first introduced it had a large number of networking issues.  It still does have issues and there is no reason to expect that Vista is entirely stable in this regard.  There would be no reason to expect Windows 7 to be any different either, especially since it is based largely upon the same kernel components that comprise Vista.

Of course, just to spite me, I haven't lost the Globe for several days, although probably the mere mention will cause it to disappear again 🙂

Given that the majority users in general do not post when they aren't having issues I will speak up and note that everything is working OK for me.  I have two Vista PCs and have not yet had any "Globe issues" with my FiOS internet service.  I am using a Cisco router, if it makes any difference.

0 Likes
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

"Would you mind sharing how to change the "channel" on the Actiontech Router. Please be very specific since I am not a techie."

Since the same exact problem occurs with Vista PCs that are connected to the router via ethernet, then which WiFi channel you're using has nothing to do with this issue and changing it is a waste of time.

This problem started for me 4 months ago when I switched from Cablevision to FIOS.  Have it on 2 Desktops that are connected by ethernet and 2 laptops that connect wirelessly.

There are multiple posts on this forum that go back to the 1st day I logged in here that referenced this problem, so I find it more then a bit hard to believe that anyone who is on this forum regularly would not know about it until now.  

Message Edited by JoeK on 02-02-2009 05:44 PM
0 Likes
tsk
Enthusiast - Level 3

@fiostvman wrote:

If Verizon is supposingly having compatability issues with Vista, it should be incumbent upon Verizon to figure out a solution in order to provide their customers a reliable service.

What I think is interesting is that Vista (and its younger sibling OS Windows 7) is the only OS that is having this connectivity issue.  Other (older) windows OSs, Macs, and *nix platforms don't seem to have problems. 

I am not convinced that this would be a Verizon problem, though that doesn't mean that Verizon shouldn't be trying to do their part to resolve this.

0 Likes
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

What I think is interesting is that Vista (and its younger sibling OS Windows 7) is the only OS that is having this connectivity issue.  Other (older) windows OSs, Macs, and *nix platforms don't seem to have problems. 

I am not convinced that this would be a Verizon problem, though that doesn't mean that Verizon shouldn't be trying to do their part to resolve this.

Well is Verizon warning potential new customers that their Internet Service isn't compatiable with Vista?   If not, and we do know their not, then it is their problem.  They absolutely have an obligation to get it fixed.
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

ok let me explain a little further on my post.

First off the OP said he would drop his internet connection over time. what I'm trying to do is rule out that the router is bad. 192.168.1.1 is the IP you will put in the address bar press enter then you will be prompted for a username and password which are admin and password you will be prompted to make a username and password. Please remember what you use because you can reset the router back to default if you do forget. After the user name and password you will come to a screen which is the home page of the router. You will at this point click on wireless on the top part. The next page you will need to click on basic wireless settings. Now from this new page you will select the 3rd option which is the channel and move it to 11 and go to the problem and click apply.

We are just ruling out the wireless signal interruption here and that's what it is used for.

now the 2nd part I'd have you do to configure vista a bit I have seen help others which may or may not help you but its worth a shot and won't damage your O/S or anything I'll explain in a sec.

1. Go to Network Connections folder (click on Start button, then right click on Network, select Properties, then click on “Manager network connections” on Tasks pane).

2. You should see various LAN, wireless, Bluetooth, high speed Internet, and other network connections available on the Vista computer with the network adapter description. Right click on the network connection that you want to disable the IPv6 interface and select “Properties”.

Click “Continue” on User Access Control permission request prompt.

3. Clear the check box next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) component in the list under “This connection uses the following items” box.

Now what was happening to me when I was losing connection is both ipv6 and ipv4 were trying to duplicate the IP in the router I turned this off and works like a champ.

Let me know if this works for you.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@fiostvman wrote:

First?  You must be kidding. 

Read the numerous posts here about FIOS/Vista wireless issues, go over to DSL reports as well as the site you listed below and you will see that the problem is widespread.

I wish I was kidding.  I've only been on this forum for a short time and I was serious about seeing this for the first time.  I read the post on Dsl reports and If I didn't know any better I would say the originator of the post could be you.  It's the exact scenario to a tee.

Just curious, did you ever try setting the Laptop for static ip?

FiOS had 1.9 million customers as of the end of the year of 2008.  Lets say that 25% of the customers has Vista.  With your premise one would think that this issue of the missing Globe would be more common, yet it's only a very small handfull of posters that are having this issue with Vista.  This leads me to believe there could be something interfering with Vista doing it's job.

One way to test this is to elimiante any program running in the background.  This could eaisly be done by:

Click start (windows flag on lower left) in the search box, type: msconfig

This will bring up the system configuration.  Go to the start up tab and uncheck every box and reboot your system. 

Try it and get back to me. If this does nothing repeat the process and re-check all those you unchecked.

As for Charles comments, let's face it...Out of the 5 systems I have 2 are Vista.   When they first came out with the operating system I swore at it daily trying to figure out where stuff was and it's functionality.  Since Vista's arrival they have had quite a few updates which brings me to the next point...

Service pack 3 is out...are your systems updated to this?

Next:  If none of this remidies your problem, what kind of computers are you running? Do they have a program running that manages your wireless?  If so: try disabling it.  Let Vista manage your wireless and see if it resolves the issue...

Message Edited by Provider7 on 02-03-2009 10:46 AM
0 Likes