Re: Is Verizon going to acknowlege the problems with FIOS and Windows Vista
Shadow64
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, I'm going to try and explain everything and hopefully help everyone that is having problems with Verizon FiOS and Windows Vista.  I was fighting with both Verizon and Actiontec for months before I finally got the problem resolved through some help from my friends that are IT pro's.

First, Verizon Tech support will NOT acknowledge that this is a problem. You have all figured this out by now.

Second, Actiontec Tech support will NOT acknowledge they have a problem because the firmware with the Actiontec router is modified by Verizon. I sent Actiontec a very detailed report of my troubleshooting steps, tests and results from 4 different Actiontec routers running 3 different versions of firmware and multiple computers running everything from Win95 up to Windows Vista. 

I will not go into all the tests, router versions and firmware versions as I have no way to attach the several Excel spreadsheets that I have recorded the results within. 

The problems you have all identified I had experienced along with a few others.  Internet connections dropping, not connecting at all when using WPA encryption, printer and file sharing not working, etc.

What you need to do is physical look at your Actiontec router label and make sure it is the latest Rev. D router.  If you don't have this revision router then contact Verizon and tell them you are having intermittent wireless connection problems and that you need a replacement router.  Don't let them try to convince you into performing any troubleshooting because it is pointless and you need a new router, period.  When they send your new router and you hook it up (you might have to call them to get your IP released before it will even connect to the internet). Once your router is connected you will need to verify that the firmware version of the router is Actiontecs latest revision 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.3 

If you have anything previous to this version of firmware it will not work.  Unfortunately, you cannot download this firmware from Actiontec or Verizon so you have to get the router with the firmware installed.  The only version of firmware you can download from Verizon is a previous version that will not work.

Since receiving the Rev. D router with firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.3 I have had absolutely no problems with 5 wireless devices and 4 hardwired devices all using the router simultaneously. 

I did have printer and file sharing problems with the first router they sent me so make sure to test it thoroughly. The only thing I found was that my one WinXP laptop and Nintendo Wii would sometimes not stay connected for more than 5 hours or so.  I resolved this by locking channel 6 on the router instead of letting it auto select.  I now run 3 wireless laptops (2 Vista), 2 Xbox 360's (1 wireless), Nintendo Wii and 3 tower computers all without any problems. 

I hope this information helps all of you that have been suffering with this same issue.

0 Likes
Director
I have Revision E.  One would think this would follow Rev. D and be okay, but it isn't.
0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Shadow64 wrote:

Okay, I'm going to try and explain everything and hopefully help everyone that is having problems with Verizon FiOS and Windows Vista.  I was fighting with both Verizon and Actiontec for months before I finally got the problem resolved through some help from my friends that are IT pro's.

First, Verizon Tech support will NOT acknowledge that this is a problem. You have all figured this out by now.

Second, Actiontec Tech support will NOT acknowledge they have a problem because the firmware with the Actiontec router is modified by Verizon. I sent Actiontec a very detailed report of my troubleshooting steps, tests and results from 4 different Actiontec routers running 3 different versions of firmware and multiple computers running everything from Win95 up to Windows Vista. 

I will not go into all the tests, router versions and firmware versions as I have no way to attach the several Excel spreadsheets that I have recorded the results within. 

The problems you have all identified I had experienced along with a few others.  Internet connections dropping, not connecting at all when using WPA encryption, printer and file sharing not working, etc.

What you need to do is physical look at your Actiontec router label and make sure it is the latest Rev. D router.  If you don't have this revision router then contact Verizon and tell them you are having intermittent wireless connection problems and that you need a replacement router.  Don't let them try to convince you into performing any troubleshooting because it is pointless and you need a new router, period.  When they send your new router and you hook it up (you might have to call them to get your IP released before it will even connect to the internet). Once your router is connected you will need to verify that the firmware version of the router is Actiontecs latest revision 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.3 

If you have anything previous to this version of firmware it will not work.  Unfortunately, you cannot download this firmware from Actiontec or Verizon so you have to get the router with the firmware installed.  The only version of firmware you can download from Verizon is a previous version that will not work.

Since receiving the Rev. D router with firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.3 I have had absolutely no problems with 5 wireless devices and 4 hardwired devices all using the router simultaneously. 

I did have printer and file sharing problems with the first router they sent me so make sure to test it thoroughly. The only thing I found was that my one WinXP laptop and Nintendo Wii would sometimes not stay connected for more than 5 hours or so.  I resolved this by locking channel 6 on the router instead of letting it auto select.  I now run 3 wireless laptops (2 Vista), 2 Xbox 360's (1 wireless), Nintendo Wii and 3 tower computers all without any problems. 

I hope this information helps all of you that have been suffering with this same issue.

We hear you load and clear. Unfortunately, I highly suspect that Verizon will continue to ignore us and the Verizon employees here will just back them up and continue to blame Windowns Vista.

BTW, I have a Rev. D router  and it is that one that gave me hell for the past 6 months. I am not sure what firmware it is using. I am not going to check since I have subsequently turned off the wireless signal off from the Actiontech and installed the Trendnet and it has been going great  for a month now.  The Trendnet has given me fast/stable signals plus also  a nice speed bump from Wireless G to Wireless N.

Verizon has just left a bitter taste in my mouth for the past 6 months.{please keep it relevant}

Message Edited by fiostvman on 03-08-2009 11:25 AM
Message Edited by KaLin on 03-08-2009 03:02 PM
0 Likes
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have a rev D actiontech router. I have Vista connected via linksys wmp-300 wireless card and never had a problem. My wifes Macintosh has no problems connecting wirelessly either. Maybe the actiontech doesn't like certain wireless cards.
0 Likes
Shadow64
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree that Verizon tech support is terrible.  If it were not for the speed I get and the package deal pricing I would not be using Verizon. 

Hopefully the information will help some of those folks who are having similar problems.  I know Verizon will not even address the WPA encryption and that is a big problem considering that WEP is so easily hacked and at least WPA is somewhat better.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Shadow64 wrote:

I know Verizon will not even address the WPA encryption and that is a big problem considering that WEP is so easily hacked and at least WPA is somewhat better.

Please refresh my memory, what is wrong with WPA? I have been using it with my Actiontec for about 8 months now, and I haven't had a single problem with it. Or for that matter with the signal strength, I consistently get a very good signal at the oposite end of the house, which is about 70-80 feet through three walls.

Thanks.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Shadow64
Enthusiast - Level 1

Until I received the router with the firmware version that I mentioned I was unable to connect wirelessly using WPA encryption with Vista IF I disabled the SSID broadcast.  Windows XP computers did not have a problem.  If I had the SSID broadcasting I was able to connect, but it would be intermittent.  The other problem was that IF I had MAC filtering enabled, I would intermittently connect as well.  Now that I have a proper functioning router and am able to run WPA TKIP encryption with my wireless SSID broadcast disabled and I have MAC filtering turned on. I have a fairly large house and a large lot and I am now able to connect anywhere with a great signal and speed within 200 feet of my router (through walls, etc.).  

0 Likes
Shadow64
Enthusiast - Level 1
The issue with Verizon and WPA is that Verizon WILL NOT SUPPORT you in setting it up.  Verizon will only support WEP encryption which is really Old and easily hacked.  I know people who know very little about hacking and have seen them hack into WEP systems in minutes. 
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

If you go out today and buy a wireless router to use with any DSL or cable connection, or even with FiOS, does it come with WPA enabled by default? Not that I know of, so anybody who buys one, or gets from from their ISP, gets WEP at best (I have AT&T DSL at our lake house, and it came with WEP enabled). How do those people get WPA running? Does their ISP provide the support to get it working? (I really am asking, I have no idea, when I had cable internet access I did not have wireless) 

I applaud Verizon for at least doing some encryption; even if it isn't the most secure, it is better than nothing (yes it is!!!). Now, I have had FiOS internet for almost 4 years, in the beginning I received a wired D-Link router and when I went wireless I daisy-chained a Belkin wireless router off of that and used WPA from the very beginning. When I got my ActionTec 8 months or so ago, the Verizon tech hooked it up and helped me to get the same WPA definitions in it that I had with the Belkin (I find the menu structure of the ActionTec somewhat poorly organized, it takes a while to find everything, but that is a different issue).

I think Verizon chose WEP because not all laptops have adapters that support WEP (and whether you would use one or not is not relevant, they are still out there), and not all older wireless cards for desktops support WPA either (I had one, and no new drivers supporting WPA were available, I had to get a new adapter).

Anyway, it is the way it is, and I for one think it is a reasonable compromise. And like any extension going beyond the initial FiOS installation, I think it is up to the customer to figure out how to make it work, there are plenty of companies that will do it for them, and websites they can get instructions from. I just don't see it as Verizon"s responsibility. IMHO...

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3
Okay folks. Let get this thread back on track.  This thread is about FIOS/Actiontech and problems with Windows Vista.
0 Likes