Is Westell [Verizon branded] Router known to Have Wireless Wifi Wi-Fi Internet Problem?
ccuser
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently upgraded to triple play after having FIOS 5/2 with Dlink 614 router. Installer offered to upgrade router to Coax based (I think is 9100em) for better speed and Wireless G.

It works fine but wireless internet has been nothing but trouble. None of the wireless devices are able to get connected. 2 NB and 3 phones with wifi cant connect but they work fine at school and other places. Even if I luck out with establishing connection, pinging shows packet lost 70-100% and spotty access with browser. On rare occasions I have been able to get solid internet access but ...again rarely. I have made following attempts

- removed security (WPA, WEP etc)

- renamed SSID

- physically moved & alleviated router for better broadcast

- rebooted router many times

- Even factory reset it couple of times.

-  Searched and browsed these fourms for possible solution

After all of the above attempts I called in. I told tech that wireless internet does not work and I have I made above attempts. Which he replied that distance and objects (walls) can limit wireless access. I respectfully argued that I previously had B wireless with no dead spot issues at my residence, this G router suppose to broaden and improve coverge, NOT significantly reduce it. He basically offered replacement router without even brothering to trouble-shoot and said "...there is so much you can trouble-shoot with wireless..."

so my question is...

do I have lemon? or

Are Westell [Verizon branded] Routers known to Have Wireless Wifi Wi-Fi Internet problem? or

am I doing something wrong?

0 Likes
Re: Is Westell [Verizon branded] Router known to Have Wireless Wifi Wi-Fi Internet Problem?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Try switching the channel the router is broadcasting on to a different one. Other devices on the same channel can interfere with your ability to connect.

0 Likes
Re: Is Westell [Verizon branded] Router known to Have Wireless Wifi Wi-Fi Internet Problem?
ccuser
Enthusiast - Level 2

No go. someone reported sucess earliar with different channel in message board. I tried 1, 5,  11 and auto but it still had no

effects.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

from your description.   Multiple wireless devices all with the same problem. you've rebooted and reset the router. I'd say you have a lemon and let tech support replace it.

also if you still have the Dlink router. I'd hook it up to the westel. the dlink has superior wireless in my opinion.

0 Likes
ccuser
Enthusiast - Level 2

Gosh! I am embrassed!

Since I switched to back to land phone line with verizon triple play. I added new telephone base to computer desk where router was sitting, phone set was added on the same day verizon did installtion. I was aware of cordless phone can interfare with wi-fi but I did not give much thaught to it.....

Altough phone base is corded but I just realized that phone base has wireless radio in it for cordless extension set.....I tried killing power to telephone set and....voila. notebook picked wifi right away so does my Window Mobile Phone!

I spent atleast 2-3 accumalted hours on trying fix to wifi  and changing all the advance settings...and it turns out that's not even problem...

so lesson learnt! I feel I m the idiot of the day!

P.S. anyone reading this post for soultion, MAKE SURE CORDLESS PHONE AND MICROWAVE ARE ATLEAST 10-20 FT AWAY!

0 Likes