Issues with WI424-WR and Pogoplug
will266

Has anyone else been able to get a Pogoplug up and running with FIOS? 

Each time I plug in the device to my router, it goes from flashing green lights to flashing red.  I have tried multiple patch cables to insure was not hardware related.

Does not even assign the device an IP address.

I know the pogoplug uses UDP, but have no idea how to setup in gateway to allow.

0 Likes
Re: Issues with WI424-WR and Pogoplug
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
If the DHCP server is not enabled in the router, do that.

If the DHCP server is enabled in the router, what is the DHCP range?
0 Likes
will266

DHCP is enabled for .2-.254 and I am currently using about 13 IP addresses between PCs, TiVos, wireless printers and iPod Touchs

When I connect the Pogoplug, the green and amber lights on the pogoplug light up (at the rj45 connection) and the router lights up as well.  The indicators on the pogoplug flash green, then ultimately flash red.

Checking my router control panel, it never assigns it an IP address.

I have tested and tried multiple patch cables, and emails to support@pogoplug.com come back undeliverable.

Thanks for any suggestions!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 There is the official forums for Pogoplug at

http://www.pogoplugged.com/

#2 When there, you may want to tell them that they do not seem to have a MX record.

b) This is from source

http://network-tools.com/

Entering in that e-mail address, selecting Email Verification and clicking on go.

--

#3 Has this device (Pogoplug) ever worked before, like with another ISP?

#4 On this device (Pogoplug) can you setup a static IP?

#5 Before setting an IP on the Pogoplug, be sure to change the range so that is smaller.

Such as .100 to .254

0 Likes
will266

Thanks for the great feedback.

I did post in their forum, as well as finally got an email through to their support.

I have taken the device to two other people's houses, with the same result.  Unfortunately (for me, not them) they are all FiOS customers. 

Taking by a friend who is still on cable internet this evening - they have a plain vanilla linksys router with no special firewall rules - so I should be able to isolate the issue to the device, or my config.

Will post results/solution here when I reach it! 

Thanks again!

0 Likes
bvar
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been using a Pogoplug for nearly 2 months with FiOS in NJ using the Actiontec router WI424-WR Rev. C.

Last night, after a brief power outage, my Pogoplug lights showed red (which is how I found your post, trying to see if this had happened to anyone else) -- but I did hear some activity from the USB drives I had attached to it... so I reset everything, then left it alone overnight and when I woke up this morning, everything is green and my drives are online again.  So maybe it's the version of the router you have (the Rev. C could make a difference), or it just takes a while to recover after being offline.  I remember when I installed the Pogoplug with FiOS and this particular router, the lights were instantly green though and everything worked fine out of the box.

I checked the router before I went to sleep, and even though the lights on the Pogoplug were still red, I saw it connected with an IP address on my network.  So there was definitely some "indexing" or something going on with those hard drives.  Hope this helps.

Message Edited by bvar on 06-26-2009 05:52 AM
Message Edited by bvar on 06-26-2009 05:55 AM
0 Likes
will266

Thanks for the reply - tried the PogoPlug at several houses.  Same result.  CloudEngines eventually sent me another and it worked perfect right out of the box!

By that time, I ordered another one (since their customer service was so responsive).

Now they are a month(at least) backorder, so I ordered 3 more for gifts.

Has been working great - I have multiple shared folders, am able to access my pogoplug even from work (and we have very restrictive firewalls).

My harddrive was new, so I did not have the long indexing issue - although the "hello" email they send when you order warns about it!

Thanks again for your suggestions - I will be sure to keep it in mind if I encounter a similiar issue!

0 Likes