Just Re-formatted computer and reinstalled Windows XP; problems
MeLikeFIOS
Hey everyone, I just re-formatted my computer and reinstalled Windows XP, but I can't seem to connect to FIOS. I have the modem sitting on my desk next to me, and all the other computers in the house are connected to it by wire just fine, but when I replugged my wire back into my computer, nothing happened. I tried making a new internet connection, but it wouldn't let me do that for FIOS. The only thing I see under Network Connections is a 1394 connection, and it say Connected, Firewalled. I do not recall getting a CD or anything from the FIOS guy who installed it in our house a while back, so I have no clue what to do. Can someone please help?
0 Likes
Re: Just Re-formatted computer and reinstalled Windows XP; problems
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3
It sounds like you need the cd to install your network card driver. XP comes with a lot of the drivers but not all of them. If you go to device manager (under control panel->system) you should see everything installed on your system. If you see devices with a exclamation point in a yellow ball then you know that some drivers are missing. If you have a cd that came with your computer then I would use that to try to install the network card driver.
0 Likes
MeLikeFIOS
The problem is, I got a bunch of CDs from Dell for like programs and my printer and stuff like that, but none of them seem to be for the network card.
0 Likes
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would then go to this link

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

type in your service tag and download the latest network card driver.

Actually, you should probably first go into control panel -> system -> device manager and see if there are any exclamations points.

The 1394 you are seeing on your system is for firewire, so I suspect the network card isn't install but going to device manager will confirm that.

0 Likes
MeLikeFIOS

Well I went to Device Manager, and under Network Adapters, it didn't have any yellow exclamation marks, it just had 1394 Net Adapter underneath it. The only yellow marks I could find were under other devices.

Ethernet Controller

Multimedia Audio Controller

PCI Device

PCI Input Device

Those were the ones with yellow marks.

Oh yea, I installed some Modem thing that was on one of the discs I got from Dell, but that can't be whats messin up FIOS right? Cause I have no idea about that stuff. It seemed like it was installing some modem for liek old 56k internet and phone lines.

Oh yea, and thanks for the link, but I can't go to it on my computer cause I can't go on the internet lol.

Message Edited by MeLikeFIOS on 08-09-2009 07:23 PM
0 Likes
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

you need the driver for "ethernet controller". It doesn't appear under network adapters because the driver isn't installed and windows doesn't know what the device is.

I am assuming that since you are on this forum that you must be connected to the internet via another computer. So you could download the driver and put it on a flash drive or burn it to a cd and then bring it over to the machine that isn't working.

You could also try to search the cds you have to see if they have the ethernet driver on there somewhere.

0 Likes
MeLikeFIOS
Hey I went to that link you gave me and entered in my service tag, but there doesn't seem to be an Ethernet Controller download. What do i do now? Thanks for helping me.
0 Likes
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

what model dell machine do you have?

You can also try to right click on "Ethernet controller" and pick update driver. It will search the xp cd for the driver and see if it can find one. It should have found it when you did the install if it existed but I would try it again to make sure.

0 Likes
MeLikeFIOS
I have a Dell DImension 8400; oh yea and when i right click shoulds i try install driver before update?
0 Likes
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went to the dell website and put in dimension 8400. They do have the driver there.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_...=

It under network and is listed as "broadcom driver". Broadcom, Intel, Marvell are three companies that make network adapters. Since Broadcom driver is listed under network on the dell webpage I would assume that your machine has a broadcom network adapter. I would install that and see what happens.