Lag spikes on Xbox Live
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

I have an Xbox 360 that is connected to LIVE. I bought FiOS Internet 25/25 around the beginning of Feburary. The internet was amazing and I was receving a really low latency on Xbox. Now, for some reason, there will be a quick second of high latency and lag. This issue keeps reoccuring and happens randomly. I have rebooted the router and reset the router back to default settings. But, the issue still persists. Will I have to reboot the ONT or is it from LIVE? All of my other friends using FiOS have no problems on Xbox LIVE.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lag spikes on Xbox Live
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

I looked at my Rev.E router. Apparently, someone had installed an ethernet cord on port two while the other side of it was in port 3. I took that out and it has seemed to do the trick. I have had no lag spikes today. But just in case, I have asked Tech Support for them to dispatch a technician and check out the ONT and all that stuff.

View solution in original post

Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

I looked at my Rev.E router. Apparently, someone had installed an ethernet cord on port two while the other side of it was in port 3. I took that out and it has seemed to do the trick. I have had no lag spikes today. But just in case, I have asked Tech Support for them to dispatch a technician and check out the ONT and all that stuff.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Never hurts to be on the safe side to get a tech dispatched. If things check out then I guess removing the loop in the network really helped!

If there was such a loop in the network, I wonder why the ActionTec doesn't realize that there is a loop and disable/ignore Ports 2 and 3 if it proves to be the cause of the lag? I'd like to place bets on Broadcast data for DHCP or UPnP causing that to bug out. I understand residential routers aren't meant to support the Spanning Tree Protocol which helps to locate loops and eliminate the use of them, but for large networks it's pretty much an essential mode to have! Now since this is to the same switch, I would find this to be a rather stupid bug as STP would disable those ports if it detects a loop at the switch itself.

Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

But, why would someone put a loop on the router? What does a loop do?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Loops on a single switch serve no purpose. They are disasterous on hubs. It could have just been a mistake, whichever happened. What matters is you found it and fixed the problem.

0 Likes
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

Alright. Well the technician came in yesterday. He said that no problems were found on the connections and the router. I told him about the loop and that was it.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's great to hear everything was good to go after the tech visit. Everything running well since removing the loop still?

0 Likes
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

Yes. Everything is running fine.

0 Likes